cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade path for wireless controller from v8.5.140.13 to 8.10.183.0

Herman2018
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, good day, can you anyone please help advise the software upgrade path for wireless controller 5520 from version 8.5.140 to 8.10.183.0? thanks a lot in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Herman2018 you can directly upgrade. check https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html 

before upgrade, make sure your existing AP models are compatible with new OS version using below link,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

@Herman2018 you can directly upgrade. check https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html 

before upgrade, make sure your existing AP models are compatible with new OS version using below link,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

8.10.183.0?

Are there any 2800/3800/4800/1560 or Catalyst 91xx?

How about 2700/3700/1570/IW3700?

Thanks for your reply.  the target version is cisco suggested version 8.10.183.0 (ED). Currently we have cisco 3802I AP, and will deploy 9130I , so in order to support catalyst 9130I, we need to upgrade WLC software. Any suggestion? Thanks.

@Herman2018 wrote:
Currently we have cisco 3802I AP, and will deploy 9130I , so in order to support catalyst 9130I, we need to upgrade WLC software. Any suggestion?

Have a look at CSCwe11747 & CSCwd46815 because it will affect 2800/3800 and Catalyst 91xx with 8.10.183.0.

Thanks Leo!, what version you suggest to use for both 3802I and 9130I? Thanks 

Thanks Leo! ver 8.10.185.0 just was released on Mar 24 2023. Any users have already  deployed and tested this version ?Cisco recommended version is still 8.10.183. 

For the bug CSCwd46815 , it only affect 10.181. 182, not .183. For the bug CSCwd 11747, the workaround is to adjust AP MTU to 1485? 

@Herman2018 There are folk that do test the features and code versions during EFT (early field trails), I am one of those.  Now keep in mind that everyone has a different setup and that means one can experience an issue that someone else will not or ever run into.  If you look at the lifecycle of the code or really anything, you will have new releases, then that may become the recommended, later not recommended because of a newer version and or getting deffered. Recommended is determined from overall analytics from TAC cases.  If you are looking for comfort, stay with the recommended.  If you are experienced then test the new code and then decide if that code is solid for your environment.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott for your kind advice. 

Thanks a lot for your advice and sharing the info. 

davislee2122
Level 1
Level 1

Sure, I'd be happy to help!

Before upgrading the software on your wireless controller 5520, it's important to check the release notes for the version you are upgrading to. The release notes will provide important information on any new features, bug fixes, and known issues that may affect your network.

Assuming you have already reviewed the release notes and are ready to proceed with the upgrade, here are the general steps to upgrade your controller software:

Download the new software image from the Cisco website to your computer.
Transfer the software image to the controller using a TFTP server or SCP.
Log in to the controller CLI (command-line interface) and enter the command "show boot" to verify the current boot variable.
If necessary, change the boot variable to the new software image using the "config boot" command.
Reload the controller using the "reload" command to start the upgrade process.
During the upgrade process, the controller will automatically reboot several times. Do not interrupt this process.
After the upgrade is complete, log in to the controller and verify that the new software version is running using the "show version" command.
Please note that the specific commands and steps may vary depending on the software version and configuration of your controller. It's also important to have a backup of your current configuration before starting the upgrade process.

Thanks a lot for your advice on the procedure of upgrade. I will check new ver os release notes. 

@davislee2122 Is that a ChatGPT or other AI bot answer or one you compiled yourself from personal knowledge and/or experience (I think not)?

Reason I know this - some of the info you have given is just plain INCORRECT!

These forums are for sharing your knowledge and experience and learning from others.  Copying verbatim search engine or AI bot answers without even knowing whether the info is correct is neither helpful nor useful.  If you don't know the answer then watch and learn but don't post fake answers here please!  We all use those tools to supplement our own knowledge and find specific new info occasionally but we filter and select from the results based on our own knowledge and experience of the products.

Thanks a lot Richard! totally agree with you about the contribution to this community. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card