Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM software upgrade

irsnizam007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We would required upgrade our WiSM from version 5.1.151.0 to 7.0.98.0. So as cisco says we will have to first upgrade the software from 5.1.151.0 to 5.2 then we will be uprading to 7.0.98.0. The current Bootloader version is 3.2.202.0. Should we have to upgrade the Bootloader too to 5.2.157.0 ER.aes ? If so which one should we upgrade first? first the Bootloader or the IOS?

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 5.1.151.0
RTOS Version..................................... Linux-2.6.10_mvl401
Bootloader Version............................... 3.2.202.0
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

Pls Advice.

Irshad.

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please upgrade the WLC code first and then upgrade the boot loader!! here is the link to do it..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml#gui

lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

No worries!! Nothing will happen.. i guess the time u upgrade it to 5.2, the boot loader will be 4.2.. if not also no problem!! i have done it many times and havnt faced a issue till now!!

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

after upgrading the Boot loader from version 3.2.202.0 to 5.2.157.0 how can we role back if in case any issue? kindly send me a cisco link if you have.

Errrr ... You can upgrade from boot loader (-ER files) from 3.X to 5.X but I wouldn't do that if I were you.  I'd load EVERY ONE of the -ER files because they are important.

There are two models of accesspoints on the network. which are AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 which runs the ios 12.4(23c)JA and AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 runs the ios 12.4(16b)JA. My qstn is, does these models support the software version 5.2 and 7.0.98.0?

The 1040N will only be supported on 7.0.98.0.  The 1130 is supported on the 7.0.98.0 too.

1. After upgrading the Boot loader from version 3.2.202.0 to  5.2.157.0 how can we role back if in case any issue? kindly send me a  cisco link if you have.

ANS - We cannot roll back the Boot loader. unless we do it manually but not recommended.

2.  There are two models of accesspoints on the network. which are  AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 which runs the ios 12.4(23c)JA and AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9  runs the ios 12.4(16b)JA. My qstn is, does these models support the  software version 5.2 and 7.0.98.0?

ANS - The time you upgrade the WLC code the AP registered will load the latest LWAPP or CAPWAP image.

Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

yes as LEO stated.. 1040 needs 7.0.98 WLC and it wont work is anything below version is used!! (5+ leo )

Regards
Surendra BG

Irzhad

The WLC does not use IOS..

You cannot copy the software code from WLC to TFTP..

WHat you can do is uploading any code to the WLC...from TFTP

For more details check on this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1064771

16 Replies 16

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Please upgrade the WLC code first and then upgrade the boot loader!! here is the link to do it..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml#gui

lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi Surendra,

Thanks for the doc mate. After the ios upgrade we will be upgrading the bootloader from 3.2.202.0  to 5.2.157.0 ER.aes. would this have any impact or can we do the boot loader upgrade smoothly from 3.2.202.0 to 5.2.157.0 ER.aes?

Thanks & Regards

Irshad

No worries!! Nothing will happen.. i guess the time u upgrade it to 5.2, the boot loader will be 4.2.. if not also no problem!! i have done it many times and havnt faced a issue till now!!

Lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi All,

just two more questions prior to the upgrade.

1. after upgrading the Boot loader from version 3.2.202.0 to 5.2.157.0 how can we role back if in case any issue? kindly send me a cisco link if you have.

2. There are two models of accesspoints on the network. which are AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 which runs the ios 12.4(23c)JA and AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 runs the ios 12.4(16b)JA. My qstn is, does these models support the software version 5.2 and 7.0.98.0?

Please advice

regards

Irshad

after upgrading the Boot loader from version 3.2.202.0 to 5.2.157.0 how can we role back if in case any issue? kindly send me a cisco link if you have.

Errrr ... You can upgrade from boot loader (-ER files) from 3.X to 5.X but I wouldn't do that if I were you.  I'd load EVERY ONE of the -ER files because they are important.

There are two models of accesspoints on the network. which are AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 which runs the ios 12.4(23c)JA and AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 runs the ios 12.4(16b)JA. My qstn is, does these models support the software version 5.2 and 7.0.98.0?

The 1040N will only be supported on 7.0.98.0.  The 1130 is supported on the 7.0.98.0 too.

yes as LEO stated.. 1040 needs 7.0.98 WLC and it wont work is anything below version is used!! (5+ leo )

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks for the ratings.

If you are upgrading the firmware, I'd go and use the new 7.0.116.0 firmware.

1. After upgrading the Boot loader from version 3.2.202.0 to  5.2.157.0 how can we role back if in case any issue? kindly send me a  cisco link if you have.

ANS - We cannot roll back the Boot loader. unless we do it manually but not recommended.

2.  There are two models of accesspoints on the network. which are  AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 which runs the ios 12.4(23c)JA and AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9  runs the ios 12.4(16b)JA. My qstn is, does these models support the  software version 5.2 and 7.0.98.0?

ANS - The time you upgrade the WLC code the AP registered will load the latest LWAPP or CAPWAP image.

Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks guys,

As we planned we will go with 7.0.98.0.

before preceeding with the upgrade. Incase of boot loader crashes. Is there any way to boot the WiSM in kind of ROMMON mode and upload the bootloader through a tftp server?

regards

Irshad

Hmm.. There no problem at all..  you can specify the image from which you want the WLC to boot from the  bot loader.. Dont worry, notjing will go wrong.. trust me!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi All,

Two quick questions.

how can we upload the existing ios software from wism to tftp server.

how can we backup the running configuration to tftp server.

please advice

irshad

Irzhad

The WLC does not use IOS..

You cannot copy the software code from WLC to TFTP..

WHat you can do is uploading any code to the WLC...from TFTP

For more details check on this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805f381f.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1064771

Hi All,

Thanks for all your support. last night we have successfully upgraded the WiSM to verion 7.0.98.0 .

Just wanna share some of the key points to be noted.

Existing System information on the WiSM

Product Version             :           5.1.151.0

RTOS Version               :           Linux-2.6.10_mvl401

Boot loader Version        :           3.2.202.0

Build Type                     :           DATA + WPS

System Name               :           wism-a

System Object              :           1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.1.1.4.4

IP Address                    :           10.226.231.4

System Up Time           :           145 days 17 hrs 56 mins 22

Existing System information on AP

Product/Model Number               :          AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9

Software Version                       :          12.4(23c)JA

There are two WCSs inside the wism. so we have to upgrade both seperatly. Also you cannot go directly to verson 7.0. you'll have to first upgrade the 5.1 to 5.2 then upgrade to 7.0. once you upgraded to intermediate version 5.2 wait for some time till all the APs get connected to WISm and download the new version. Once all APs got the latest version you can start upgarding to 7.0. you can check all APs image version by issuing sh ap image all command.

As Surendra mentioned you can follow his hyperlink for more information.

Many thanks for all

Regards

Irshad

Boot loader Version        :           3.2.202.0

Groan!  Your bootloader news to be upgraded too. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card