Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 9800 design with vlan issue

teddyhsu1011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My company have new 9800-CL and C9115AXI wireless AP.

My toplogy is like that The WLC is Install on vmware vsphere 6.7 u3, the VM have 3 interfaces, Gi 1 is management port, using access mode to vlan 10, Gi 2 is service port, using trunk mode to vlan 11,70,90. Gi 3 is HA sync port ,using access mode to vlan 600. 

The ESXi is using VDS to connect VM and outside switch , the uplink is lag and trunk port to phyical Cisco Switch.

The AP is register and connect WLC by using VLAN11, use same subnet /24. 

I have 2 SSID, One is OA using 802.1x and flexconnect to access VLAN 90, other one is guest using Central Switching and web auth to access VLAN 70.

Now the OA SSID is working,but the guest SSID isn't.

I can not get dhcp ip and web portal by guest SSID.

I connect phyical cable to VLAN 70, I can get DHCP IP address by 3rd party DHCP server and get internet access.

How to trubleshooting the root cause? 

12 Replies 12

check DHCP settings in Guest SSID interface. point it to correct DHCP. is OA using DHCP? 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

ammahend
VIP
VIP

you can start with capture on 9800 to see dhcp packet exchange, will give you an idea whats failing, under policy profile central dhcp is checked for guest ? 

-hope this helps-

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can debug and analyze guest access with these tools : https://logadvisor.cisco.com/logadvisor/wireless/9800/9800CWA
      Also have a checkup of the 9800-CL configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless ; feed the output into :
                                             https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

teddyhsu1011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I do some test.

1. Capture packet from guest pc, The guest SSID is connected but it only show send 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 dhcp request, no any dhcp reponse.

2. I do capture packet from wlc only Gi2. The WLC have 2 SVI , VLAN 11 is 172.16.11.251 and VLAN 70 is 172.16.70.251. the result show that traffic is tagged by right vlan tag but only VLAN 11 SVI response, the VLAN 70 only get in-bound traffic, no respones. 

Any advice?

BR

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Check policies if Guest VLAN70 is behind a firewall.

Check whether VLAN70 SVI has a dhcp helper address configured on the switch/router side.

Check whether wireless profile policy for Guest is properly configured to that VLAN, and the Flex profile maps the correct vlan id.

You can paste the configuration from them here so we can help you.

teddyhsu1011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

the configuration section is like below

Interface and VLAN

vlan 11,70,92,101

interface GigabitEthernet1
 no switchport
 ip address 192.168.10.191 255.255.255.0
 negotiation auto
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid
 service-policy output AutoQos-4.0-wlan-Port-Output-Policy
!
interface GigabitEthernet2
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,11,70
 switchport mode trunk
 negotiation auto
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid
 service-policy output AutoQos-4.0-wlan-Port-Output-Policy
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid
!
interface Vlan11
 ip address 172.16.11.191 255.255.255.0
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid
!
interface Vlan70
 ip address 172.16.70.251 255.255.255.0
 no mop enabled
 no mop sysid
!

The flex profile

wireless profile flex Flex-Profile
 no arp-caching
 ip http client proxy 0.0.0.0 0
 native-vlan-id 11
 vlan-name VLAN0011
  vlan-id 11
 vlan-name VLAN0070
  vlan-id 70
 vlan-name VLAN0090
  vlan-id 90

The wireless tag and policy

parameter-map type webauth global
 type webauth
 virtual-ip ipv4 172.16.70.20
 trustpoint server.pfx
!
parameter-map type webauth guest-web
 type webauth
 max-http-conns 10
 cisco-logo-disable
!
!
wireless profile policy Guest-Policy
 aaa-override
 aaa-policy CWA-AAA-Policy
 autoqos mode guest
 no central dhcp
 description Guest-Policy
 no flex umbrella dhcp-dns-option
 flex vlan-central-switching
 ipv4 dhcp opt82
 ipv4 dhcp opt82 format ssid
 ipv4 dhcp server 172.16.70.1
 service-policy input AutoQos-4.0-wlan-GT-SSID-Input-Policy
 service-policy output AutoQos-4.0-wlan-GT-SSID-Output-Policy
 vlan VLAN0070
 no shutdown

wireless tag policy Tag-Lab
 wlan Lab policy Guest-Policy
 wlan Lab-WLAN policy WLAN
 wlan Lab-Employee policy WLAN

wlan Lab 4 Lab-guest
 radio policy dot11 24ghz
 radio policy dot11 5ghz
 no security ft adaptive
 security wpa psk set-key ascii xxx
 no security wpa akm dot1x
 security wpa akm psk
 security dot1x authentication-list default
 security web-auth parameter-map guest-web
 no shutdown

- Have a checkup of the 9800-CL configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless ; feed the output into :
                                             https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

teddyhsu1011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

It show 3 errors ans 26 warnings. Does the SVI error cause the issue?

mDNS: WLAN is using mDNS gateway functionality, but not corresponding SVI Interface detected. WLANs/Policies: 
Action: Add: Define a Interface vlan (SVI) for all vlans where mDNS gateway functionality is required. This check may not apply on AAA override scenarios
DHCP: Policy profile is using DHCP relay functionality, but not corresponding SVI Interface detected. Policies: 
Action: Add: Define a Interface vlan (SVI) for all vlans where DHCP relay feature is set on the policy profile. This check may not apply on AAA override scenarios
WCAE: Critical error while running checks against file, section Client Audit - Apple/RF profiles,Client Audit - Vocera/RF profiles
Action: A group of checks did not execute properly. If the file is believed to be correct, please contact wcae@cisco.com

- Not sure but normally at least all the errors from WirelessAnalyzer should be corrected ; the last one however seems an internal issue and can be ignored for the time being , (warnings should be reviewed and check potential impact on your issue)

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Why have you defined vlan 70 in your flex profile when 70 is centrally switched?
You've configured "no central DHCP" but you want central DHCP and switching so need to change that to central DHCP.
Is the DHCP server on VLAN 70 - if so no DHCP relay required, if the server is not on VLAN 70 then you need to configure DHCP relay.
Are you using mdns gateway?  If not then no SVI is necessary.

Hi

My WLC and AP are working in flexconnect mode.

The SSID for OA is offloading to near edge switch with VLAN 90 for best afford. The SSID for guest is central switch to WLC, the clients should use WLC portal to login and central offloading from WLC to VLAN70 and rate-limit to 20Mbps per devices, working like local mode.

What setting should I changing in the guest policy?

BR

Like I already said above - that means you need central DHCP!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card