cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber EOL

cdevkota-sc
Level 1
Level 1

We are working  deployment of jabber application to all of our users. I see one of the notice about EOL

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/jabber-windows/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Jabber Guest for FLEX subscriptions

We are using Jabber Version 14.2.0.58008 Build 308008  with IMP System version: 12.5.1.16900-3

Do you think we are impacted on this notice?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

you are not affected by this. the notice is specifically related to jabber guests.

that said there have been rumors and speculation regarding EOL for Cisco jabber in general.

I have not seen any official notice in this regard and have been repeatedly told there are no current plans to EOL Jabber.

View solution in original post

I meant that the Webex app does not support the XMPP-based messaging and presence architecture of the IM&P server. It uses Cisco’s newer cloud infrastructure for that functionality instead - even when leveraging CUCM/CUC/Expressway for calling capabilities. This is a good thing because Cisco specifically designed Webex messaging to address the shortcomings of IM&P. I see them as different generations: IM&P XMPP is from the AOL/YIM/Lync era while Webex messaging is of the iMessage/Slack/MS Teams era; completely different philosophies.

As for Flex 3, only some of the offers under that umbrella include calling and meetings - and only the latest Webex Suite offer is price neutral whether the calling stack is on-prem or cloud. There are calling-only and meeting-only options but all of the variations include the Webex app and messaging, unless the customer admin disables it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

you are not affected by this. the notice is specifically related to jabber guests.

that said there have been rumors and speculation regarding EOL for Cisco jabber in general.

I have not seen any official notice in this regard and have been repeatedly told there are no current plans to EOL Jabber.

Thanks for the confirmation!

The announcement you reference is for Jabber Guest. That’s not the same as regular Jabber. So it doesn’t apply to the use case you outline.

This said I would personally not recommend anyone to deploy Jabber at this time as you can get the same, or even better functionality with Webex. Plus that it requires less on-premises resources and operates much more stable than what Jabber does, or at least did when we were using Jabber.

Response Signature

minor clarification: the Webex app is a viable replacement for Jabber with CUCM/CUC/Expeessway (not IM&P). You’re certainly welcome to consider Webex Calling as a replacement for CUCM - and many customers are doing exactly that - but it’s not a requirement.

I agree with the general sentiment that new deployments should be using the Webex app instead of Jabber at this point.

As the current licensing model is Flex-3 and it includes Meeting and Calling from what I know it would also include messaging and presence. With that IM&P would in my view be applicable with the Webex application. Or am I reading the ordering guide for Flex-3 wrong?

Response Signature

I meant that the Webex app does not support the XMPP-based messaging and presence architecture of the IM&P server. It uses Cisco’s newer cloud infrastructure for that functionality instead - even when leveraging CUCM/CUC/Expressway for calling capabilities. This is a good thing because Cisco specifically designed Webex messaging to address the shortcomings of IM&P. I see them as different generations: IM&P XMPP is from the AOL/YIM/Lync era while Webex messaging is of the iMessage/Slack/MS Teams era; completely different philosophies.

As for Flex 3, only some of the offers under that umbrella include calling and meetings - and only the latest Webex Suite offer is price neutral whether the calling stack is on-prem or cloud. There are calling-only and meeting-only options but all of the variations include the Webex app and messaging, unless the customer admin disables it.

Steven L
Spotlight
Spotlight

there are some cases where the requirements call for a softphone without internet dependencies.

Jabber is still the only supported client for this

exactly.In a less developed countries, where some companies make use of low speed internet connection ,JABBER becomes paramount

Hello, I deployed Cisco Jabber Guest 11.2.1 in my lab. I was able to download the web addon and the extension for chrome browser. Some days later , i noticed could neither download the web addon or install extension for chrome .

I got this error 404 when i clicked the download button 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jbglbakaieakcdiaiabbihafndhapfki

the above url was not found

I have tried on different pc but still the same error 404

I decided try on firefox.  The download icon didn't load. I  checked the mozilla  firefox extension and added the plugin.

I searched the chrome extension store  for  the jabber guest but no success

Has Cisco finally moved to webrtc?

any contribution will be appreciated

Jabber Guest is past support and is discontinued. For more information see here. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/jabber-windows/jabber-guest-flex-eol.html

Response Signature

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.Could that be the reason why the
plugin is not found in the chrome. It was found before when I first tested
it. However the plugins are still found in iOS and android stores
It seems Cisco is migrating to instant connect which uses webrtc.