cancel
Announcements

AMA-CUCM Troubleshooting: Best Practices for Reading Trace Files

CUSP Server Groups vs. Route Groups

Views
Helpful
Comments
Enthusiast

To define endpoints (or elements, as referred to by CUSP), the Cisco documentation specifies the use of server-groups, such as this one for series of UC Manager nodes:

server-group sip group cucm.cisco.com cucm
element ip-address 10.0.0.11 5060 tcp q-value 1.0 weight 0
element ip-address 10.0.0.12 5060 tcp q-value 1.0 weight 0
element ip-address 10.0.0.13 5060 tcp q-value 1.0 weight 0
failover-resp-codes 503
lbtype global
ping
end server-group

In the route-table, specify the defined server-group:

route table global-table
key 408555 target-destination cucm.cisco.com cucm
end route table

When I tested this in a lab, I received a 404 Not Found error back from the Proxy.  I then defined the same servers in a route group. 

route group cucm
element target-destination 10.0.0.11:5060:tcp enterprise q-value 1.0
  failover-codes 503
  weight 50
  end element
element target-destination 10.0.0.12:5060:tcp enterprise q-value 1.0
  failover-codes 503
  weight 50
  end element
element target-destination 10.0.0.13:5060:tcp enterprise q-value 1.0
  failover-codes 503
  weight 50
  end element
end route

!

route table global-table
key 408555 group cucm
end route table

This worked perfectly!!    But why wouldn't the server-group work?  What's the difference between the two?

The server-group wouldn't work because CUCM (7.0)  requires the configuration of the Enterprise Parameter "Cluster Fully Qualified Domain Name" to be *.cisco.com (cucm.cisco.com would have worked as well).  This is because the SIP request to CUCM is replaced with cucm.cisco.com as the destination, and CUCM does URI validation in order to process the incoming SIP request.  Effectively, whatever I name my server-group, I have to have that as one of the "Cluster Fully Qualified Domain Name" entries in Enterprise Parameters.

The difference between server-group and route group is that server-group maintains state of the upstream elements (via the options ping), and the route group does not.  The server-group is assumed to be a set of homogeneous elements, while the route group is not.  You are however allowed to nest server-groups within route groups.  The configuration could look like this:

server-group sip group cucm.cisco.com cucm
element ip-address 10.0.0.11 5060 tcp q-value 1.0 weight 0
element ip-address 10.0.0.12 5060 tcp q-value 1.0 weight 0
element ip-address 10.0.0.13 5060 tcp q-value 1.0 weight 0
failover-resp-codes 503
lbtype global
ping
end server-group
!
route group enterprise
element target-destination cucm.cisco.com cucm q-value 1.0
  failover-codes 503
  weight 50
  end element
element target-destination 10.0.0.1:5060:udp enterprise q-value 0.5
  failover-codes 503
  weight 50
  end element
end route
!

route table global-table
key 408555 group enterprise
end route table

This configuration would prefer the server-group entry, but if none of those elements were available, a Cisco ISR at 10.0.0.1 would be used.
3 Comments
Beginner

thanks it is very helpful!

Beginner

This document was useful but I am still trying to understand why my calls fail due to a lack of routes or policies.  I've been going in circles on CUSP for awhile now and can't seem to understand why it isn't pushing the call from my CUCM to the CUBE.  I know the call at least makes it to the key as if I change that it dumps a 404 not found.  When I change the key correctly I end up getting a 502 No Routes or Policies to Advance.  Weird since I have defined the key and the target destination/route group.

Rising star

Brandon,

If you are still having problems with your routing, I recommend you post to the Cisco Support Community (https://supportforums.cisco.com/index.jspa) where our Cisco technical support experts provide assistance. Or, another option is to open a ticket with the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (www.cisco.com/go/support) to get expert debugging assistance.

Hope that helps,

Kelli Glass

Moderator for the Cisco Collaboration Community

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
August's Community Spotlight Awards