cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from UCCE 7.2 + IP IVR 4.X to UCCE 8.0.2 + CVP 8.0 on new hardware.

matthewpage
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All

Has any one done such an upgrade before? I am having some issues on working out the best way to tackle it as the scripts need to be updates to support CVP before we can upgrade. It is also a  requirement that no reporting is lost either (or the smallest amount possible).

One of the ways I was thinking would be to rebuild the scripts on the old system which would basically mean configuring CVP on the old system and then just replacing the IP IVR steps with CVP steps.

The UCCE 8 and CVP 8 will be built on the new hardware. On the cutover weekend I will use the

EDMT tool to migrate the Logger , AW and HDS from the old system to the new system.

I have a few issues with this method though. As I am building the new scripts on the old system there is going to be no way of testing the system as CVP 8 is not compatible with 7.2 which means all testing would have to be done on the cutover weekend which is  a big risk.

I guess ideally I would like to export all of the AW configuration from the old system to the new system with out the Historical data. That way I can build out the system in parallel and test the system. When it comes to the cutover weekend I would need to export the historical data to the new system. Is that a possibility?

Any one have any other recommendations or has any one done anything similar?

Thanks for your help,

Matt

10 Replies 10

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

What version of Call Manager are you using? To be on UCCE 8.x I bet you have a CM upgrade in there, maybe more than 1.

One technique would be to install CVP 7.0(2) with your existing system. Build your new scripts in ICM and CVP (are these all to be microapps or do you need to develop somemore complex ones in CVP Studio?)  and get everything tested and working.

Then you will probably have a CM upgrade followed by a UCCE upgrade. CM 7.1(x) would allow CVP to stay at 7.0(2) then later upgrade CVP.

CVP upgrade is going to be easy.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff

They are currently on a version of CCM 4.X so you are correct this will be a two phase upgrade. This is going to be on new hardware as well alongside the new UCCE/CVP 8 Install.

All the scripts will be just using Mirco Apps as they are using pretty basic scripts even though there is a couple of hundred of them! :-(

It seems i am pretty limited with my options as none of the newer versions are compatible with what they are running.

Is there away i can just transfer the AW configuration to the new system and then upgrade the HDS later? I guess my real issue is that if i run the EDMT tool and pull everything across i am going to lose the reporting data from the time i ran the tool to when they actually chose to cut over. Unless you know away that i can run a query to retrieve the data from the old system and transfer that to the new one?

That would then allow me to test the system fully and still keep all the Historical data.

Matt

Matt,

The microapps are in the ICM config, so they will migrate during the upgrade of UCCE. No worries there,.

Perhaps you can run through the steps you have planned in a litle more detail?

Regards,

Geoff

Yep didn’t think that should be a problem. Here is a rough outline of the steps I am planning on at the moment.

Pre Cut over

1. Configure CVP PG plus routing client on the old UCCE System.

2. make a copy of the old scripts and update them with new CVP micro app configuration plus any DNs used on the old system.

3. Build out new UCCE/CVP on new hardware. (Copy Registry from old system to new)

4. Take BARS of old CCM upgrade to 6.X and then to 8.0 on new hardware.

Cutover weekend

1. Bring down side A of the production UCCE

2. Run the EDMT tool to migrate the database from Side A logger to New Side A Logger

3. Run the EDMT tool to migrate the database from Side A AW/HDS to new Side A AW

4. Update DHCP with new TFTP Address

5. Run SAT of the system. Place test calls to every script etc.

6. Run the EDMT as above on side B

7. test failover

So I guess that is the big bang approach in a nut shell which I would say is high risk as I cannot test CVP until cutover. It does how prevent hardly any reporting from being lost.

Can you see any other way I could do this that would allow me to test CVP and the 500 scripts without losing any reporting. As I said before I would like to do a phased migration but I have an issue of losing the data between when the EDMT tool is ran and when the client choses to actually cutover there agents. Any ideas how I could mitigate that risk?

Thanks for your time!

Matt

Any one have any ideas then? Is it possible to manually export HDS data from the old system to the new? That way i can go with a phased migration and export the historical data from the time when the EDMT tool was run to when the agents cut over.

Thanks,

Matt

Kris Lambrechts
Level 1
Level 1

You definitely can not 'manually' move over historical data. There  are plenty of schema changes between these UCCE releases, making this a  next-to-impossible task.

But I may have a way out, essentially you want to separate the historical data from the configuration data here. From what I understand, you have new hardware for the whole solution. So I think the following may be an option :

Pre cut-over :

• Run EDMT to migrate the LoggerA and LoggerB databases to the new systems;
  • You could migrate the HDSs too if you like, but not necessary (see later);
  • Start building the whole UCCE 8.x solution, install HDSs, PGs, CVPs, change the routing scripts etc.;
  • You could even do the CUCM upgrade well in advance;
  • Get some test ingress gateway(s) in so you can test your whole solution;

So when doing the cut-over you would do the following :

• Stop all UCCE services on your 8.x cluster, both sides (important !);
  • Use ICMDBA on your Loggers to export the configuration to flat files;
  • Use ICMDBA to delete and re-create your LoggerA, LoggerB and HDS databases;
  • Run EDMT to again migrate LoggerA, LoggerB and now definitely the HDSs to the new systems;
  • After EDMT completes, use ICMDBA on your Loggers to re-import the new configuration, essentially overwriting the configuration that was just migrated from the old system;
  • Bring up UCCE 8.x again and confirm all is still good, login some test agents, make some test calls and make sure that Logger - HDS replication functions correctly;
  • Reconfigure the DHCP servers's TFTP addresses and call routing to point to your 8.x cluster.

There's a few advantages to this approach :

• You can test the whole solution way in advance;
  • You have a fool proof backout plan, if anything does fail, you just flip the switch back;
  • You can actually test the cut-over in advance, several times if needed.

Note: it's really crucial that you completely stop the new system and delete all database contents prior to running EDMT again or you're very likely to end up with Logger-HDS replication issues.

The only downside I can see would be that your client would have a configuration freeze on their old system, they can't add any UCCE configuration on the old system. I.e. if they add an agent or call type somewhere, it will get some historical data associated with that SkillTargetID / CallTypeID for which there is no configuration. In fact, you'd probably have to lock the configuration to make sure nothing like that happens. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it may make for some difficult explanations of reporting data during those weeks.

This being a forum I guess this goes without saying .. but : this is not a Cisco best practice, just a suggestion from my personal experience with UCCE, I can not guarantee that tihs approach will work in any way.

Hi Kris

Thanks very much! That is the sort of thing I was looking for and makes perfect sense. I will give this a test in the lab first and report back.

Thanks again,

Matt

Hello Matthew,

How did it go? What strategy did you chose and did you face any unexpected surprises?

I will have sort of the same thing going in the near future. I need to migrate from 7.5 to 8.5 from MCSs to VMs on UCS Bseries and from all in same location to CM cluster, IVRs and Sides over WAN.

Any advice ?

Thanks,

Octavian

Hello Matthew

How your migration goes ? What steps you performed , I am also doing same migration UCCE 7.2 to 8.5.3 & from IP-IVR to CVP8.1.x . UCCE7.2 is on MCS and 8.5.3 will be on VMs.

Regards

Irfan Tariq

romain.jourdy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

How your migration goes ? What steps you performed , I am also doing same migration UCCE 7.5 to 9 & from IP-IVR to CVP 9 . UCCE7.5 is on MCS and 9 will be on VMs.

Best regards,

Romain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: