cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing Preferred Codec for CME Auto Register

MVK
Level 1
Level 1

This seems like it should be simple, so I'm probably missing something basic.

ISR 4351 Router running 17.6 firmware. We're using auto register to connect 8851 phones. Everything is fine except for one little problem. The preferred codec keeps showing up as G711ulaw instead of g729r8, which should be the default. The pool is set up like this.

From what I've read g729 is the default and if I manually change it to codec g729r8 everything is fine. But each time a phone registers the codec g711ulaw pops up again. Is there some way to change this?

Attached the voice config.

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

What if you add a codec line, either explicit or a group, to your voice register global section?

Response Signature

Are the auto-registering phones local to CME or remote? (I ask because if they are remote, the default codec in G711.)

Also, and I'm guessing the answer is no, but have you declared a default codec elsewhere in the router configuration?

What model phones are you registering?

Maren

MVK
Level 1
Level 1

I use a voice codec for the Dial-Peers as follows.

Voice class codec 1
Codec preference 1 g729r8

I've not found anyplace to put a voice codec in the register pool or a template for the register pool. 

The phones connect to a switch that connects to the router. I'd say they are local. Aside from the Voice Class Codec is there someplace to define a default codec? I've not seen that before.

The phone model is 8851.

Thanks!

You can apply the voice class codec to the voice register pool. That should solve it.

Maren

Configure a voice class codec with only the codec that you want to be used which is the g729, and then assign it to the voice register pool.

MarkFentz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

You are correct. That's what I was talking about in the original post. The voice register pool comes up with G711ulaw. I can change it to G729r8 and it works. But is there a way to make the autoregister default to 729r8? We want to avoid needing to make manual changes every time a phone is registered.

Thanks!

Add the voice class codec line to your voice register pool used for CME auto registration configuration.

Response Signature

MVK
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately neither the voice register global nor the autoregister under the voice register global have an entry for codec or voice codec. I hoped template might have something for that but looking in voice register template 1 there isn’t anything for the codec either. Voice-class looked promising but the only option was stun-usage. So if there is a place for the codec there I don't see it.