Views
Helpful
Replies

CME redundancy doubts

etmarcof
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have some doubts regarding CME redundancy and i don't found answer reading the guides.

1- Should i configure the second  CME router (Backup) with SRST configuration (callmanager- fallback)  or config like a CME (telephony-service)?

2-Should Hardware plataforms be equal or i can have one 2921 and other 2811?

3-  Regarding  CME versions in case second router should configured as CME (telephony-service) also. Must versions be the same?

Thansk

Best Regards

MC

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi MC,

I don't think the Hardware Platforms should matter , but the versions of IOS

should match

Here is a clip from the CME SRND Guide;

Redundant Cisco Unified CME Router

A second Cisco Unified CME router can be configured to provide call-control services if the primary Cisco Unified CME router fails. The secondary Cisco Unified CME router takes over and provides services seamlessly until the primary router becomes operational again.

When a phone registers to the primary router, it receives a configuration file from the primary router. Along with other information, the configuration file contains the IP addresses of the primary and secondary Cisco Unified CME routers. The phone uses these addresses to initiate a keepalive (KA) message to each router. The phone sends a KA message after every KA interval (30 seconds by default) to the router with which it is registered and after every two KA intervals (60 seconds by default) to the other router. The KA interval can be adjusted with the keepalive command.

If the primary router fails, a phone will not receive an acknowledgment (ACK) to its KA message to the primary router. If the phone does not get an ACK from the primary router for three consecutive KAs, it registers with the secondary Cisco Unified CME router.

During the time that the phone is registered to the secondary router, it keeps sending a KA probe to the primary router to see if it has come back up, now every 60 seconds by default or two times the normal KA interval. After the primary Cisco Unified CME router is operating normally, the phone starts receiving ACKs for its probes. After the phone receives ACKs from the primary router for three consecutive probes, it switches back to the primary router and reregisters with it. The reregistration of phones with the primary router is also called rehoming.

The physical setup for redundant Cisco Unified CME routers is as follows. The FXO line from the PSTN is split using a splitter. From the splitter, one line goes to the primary Cisco Unified CME router and the other goes to the secondary Cisco Unified CME router. When a call comes in on the FXO line, it is presented to both the primary and secondary Cisco Unified CME routers. The primary router is configured by default to answer the call immediately. The secondary Cisco Unified CME router is configured to answer the call after three rings using the voice-port ring number 3 command. If the primary router is operational, it answers the call immediately and changes the call state so that the secondary router does not try to answer it. If the primary router is unavailable and does not answer the call, the secondary router sees the new call coming in and answers after three rings.

The secondary Cisco Unified CME router should be connected in some way on the LAN, either through the same switch or through another switch that may or may not be connected to the primary Cisco Unified CME router directly. As long as both routers and the phones are connected on the LAN with the appropriate configurations in place, the phones can register to whichever router is active.

Configure primary and secondary Cisco Unified CME routers identically, with the exception that the FXO voice port from the PSTN on the secondary router should be configured to answer after more rings than the primary router, as previously explained. The ip source-address command is used on both routers to specify the IP addresses of the primary and secondary routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesystm.html#wp1024559

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I have already read that CME SRND guide but i have missed the part "..Configure primary and secondary Cisco Unified CME routers identically"

Just one quesiton in second router should i configure  also secondary ip source address from CME1?

Best Regards

MC

Hello MC,

here you can read the prerequisites of the cme redundancy:

Prerequisites

Cisco Unified CME 4.0 or a later version.

The secondary router`s running configuration must be identical to that of the primary router.

The physical configuration of the secondary router must be as described in the "Redundant Cisco Unified CME Router" section.

Phones that use this feature must be configured with the type command, which guarantees that the appropriate phone configuration file will be present.

And this could be the configuration of the second CME:

ip source-address IP-of-CME1 IP-of-CME2

The configuration of the second cme must be also identical here.

Kind regards,

Marcel Ammann

Nachricht geändert durch Marcel Ammann

Hi,

I have a small question here

I have CME1 and CME2

CME2 is with rehome for the source address, so all phones always registered to CME1

We have 1-PRI on CME1 and another PRI on CME2

when a call come from pstn on CME2 PRI [Secondry router] , I think it should find the phone not registered

then to forward the call to CME1 using voip dial-peer

dial-peer voice 5000 voip
destination-pattern 5...$

session target ipv4:CME1.ip.add

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

But this not heppen

when the call come from the pstn, it match first the pots dial-peer of the sccp phone and I found dial-peer 5000 is in second match

I find the sccp phone dial-peer is up up although the phone isn't registered

20004  pots  up   up             5911$              0             50/0/4

so why this dial-peer is up up although the phone isn't registered

this way all incoming call on CME2 PRI won't find any destination

1- Is there is a way to have this dial-peer down while the phone unregistered

or i think for another method

2- Is there is a way to send all calls to the CME1 [to be first priority]. Then I'll remove it when CME2 become the primary

I have tried " voice hunt 3" and increased the max-dn preference to 9 and give preference 0 to the dial-peer

but not helped

Regards

Haitham

it work after ios upgrade

thanks

Hi All,

Have a nice year!

Just two more doubts regarding CME redundancy

1-If i have analog FXS  SCCP  extensions registered in CME1 will they register in CME2.? or CME Redundancy will only work with IP phones?

2-If my last question is possible should FXS boards be equal hardware or can i have lets say in CME1 one EVM-8FXS and in CME2 -  two  VIC2-4FXS/DID?

Thanks

Best Regards

MC  

1 and 2, yes.

For cost saving you can keep only one set of expensive interface cards. If the the primary CME fails, you move them.

Admittedly, thta is not so easy to do with PVDM, as that  would require the router to be opened.

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for your quick answer.

What about if i have diferent FXS board in two routers it will work? (Just to have to move cabling from one CME to the other)

Best Regards

MC

Yes. There also A/B switches that can be used.

Please be more fair in using the rating system, thank you.

Hi hythamhadad,

You said you resolved the CME redundancy issue (PRI call comes in to the backup CME, then call will fail as the ephone dial-peer will get the call even the phone is not registered) by upgrading IOS. I am also running across this situation.

Maybe I know what IOS version will support this feature? And what is the name of this feature that will make the ephone down when it is not registered?

Regards,

Emerson

Emerson,

Configure the dial-peer with higher preference.

When you are creating any DN on CME it creates a virtual dial-peer which you cannot modify - you can review all the dial-peers into the system using 'sh dial-peer voice summary'. Such dial-peers are numbered with 5digits and you cannot access them to modify.

So make another dial-peer with the same destination-pattern but with higher preference. When the phones are not registered it will be forwarded to next preference and it works.

Thanks,

Mijanur Rahman