cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator TFTP settings

John Huthmaker
Level 4
Level 4

Where on my network does IP Communicator get its TFTP settings by default?  Some time ago I was transitioning from Call Manager 7 to 8.6.  During that transition, when I migrated extensions, I manually set the TFTP settings on our IP Communicator client.  As I did an office, I would set up the DHCP scope on the switches (that hand addresses to the voice vlan) to the new TFTP settings.  The physical phones are fine.  However, my IP Communicators still pull the old addresses.  Where does it get that info from.  It seems that the entire company must grab it from a central location.  I'm pretty stumped, because pretty illogical.          

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you right click on the IP communicator, select preferences, network..you will see where to change the TFTP settings

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

John,

So I appologize for the 1 star I put on the first responder, but he was incorrect; as all of you were

I beg to disagree. My post was not Incorrect. I only showed you the manual way to set it up. I didnt say it cant pull TFTP via DHCP. . This is a forum where we are trying to help. Be appreciative..This why the forum has been great. People appreciate the little help they get! This is what keeps us staying late at night even though we dont get paid for it..

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you right click on the IP communicator, select preferences, network..you will see where to change the TFTP settings

Yes I know that.  I need to know where on the network it will pick up these settings by default.

Hey aokanlawon,

You are absolutely right and I jsut added a bit more information

Please rate the post Shibly Ibrahim

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What a pity to see a perfectly correct answer, given with the will to help, being rated with 1 star. To partially compensate, I've rated it again. Of course, Aok still has the choice to delete it completely.

Paolo,

Thanks for coming to my rescue! People on the forum do not realise often that this is work we do out of dedication. Every meaningful help should be appreciated.

shiblyibrahim
Level 3
Level 3

Hey John,

Your IP Communicator will not get settings by default. Unlike physical devices it wouldnt take TFTP addresses automatically.

If you are having issues editing the TFTP server address it is a common issue in Windows OS where you need run CIPC with administrator rights.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

Regards,

Shibly

Please rate the post Shibly Ibrahim

Obviously I'm confused.  If I install IP Communicator from scratch on a new computer, it picks up the IP Address of the old call manager by default.  All of the install guides say that IP Communicator can pick up its TFTP settings via DHCP just like a physical phone.  What am I missing here?

So I appologize for the 1 star I put on the first responder, but he was incorrect; as all of you were.  You can get IP Communicator to grab its TFTP settings via DHCP.  Our access lan (data) uses Windows server for its DHCP.  IP Comm then obviously requires the TFTP option to be on the Microsoft DHCP server.  I followed this article to add it, and it works fine now via DHCP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800942f4.shtml#tftp_option

John,

So I appologize for the 1 star I put on the first responder, but he was incorrect; as all of you were

I beg to disagree. My post was not Incorrect. I only showed you the manual way to set it up. I didnt say it cant pull TFTP via DHCP. . This is a forum where we are trying to help. Be appreciative..This why the forum has been great. People appreciate the little help they get! This is what keeps us staying late at night even though we dont get paid for it..

I didnt use vudu magic to make this happen.  This info was pulled via DHCP.  Follow the link I just put in my previous post.

So when I put very specifically in my post that I didnt want to set the TFTP manually, and then you tell me how to go about setting the TFTP manually, how do you figure it was a helpful post.

Sorry John but , in your first post , it wasn't so specified ,as you said, that you  didnt want to set the TFTP manually and i was ready to answer you in the same manner of aok but he beated me on time.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi Guys,

I am trying this problem, but, the option to put the TFTF not is able to put IP same logging with Administrator (any idea about this)?

Thanks,

Wilson

drehstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry to warmup this old thread but I ran into a similar problem.

I can't give my clients the TFTP via DHCP for some special reasons. So I need to add it by hand. Is there any chance to do this automatically? It's not really convienient logging in to all our clients as an administrator first just to set the TFTP.

Maybe there is a certain file or directory which I can manipulate by script!?

Any help would be much appreciated.