Views
Helpful
Replies

MWI for Multiple DNS on a single phone

rbphillips2
Level 1
Level 1

Unity 4.2 integrated with CUCM 6.1.3

If I have a phone with three DNs asociated with it on different lines. If I receive a voicemail in Unity for the DN associated with Line 3 on the phone should I expect to see the MWI lamp turn on the phone. Right now we have a scenario where this is not happening, when I look in Unity I see that the Indicator Lamp is on but the lamp is not lit on the phone. To be honest, I am not sure if this is expected behavior or not and could not find any Cisco documentation to clarify.

Thanks,

Robert

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Robert,

It depends. Check the configuration page in CUCM for the DN. Under "Line Settings for this Device - Changes affect only this device", check the Message Waiting Lamp Policy. If you want the flashing envelope on the DN and the red light on the phone, set it to Light and Prompt.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

It's currently set to 'Use System Policy' changing it to 'Light and Prompt' didn't appear to change the outcome any.

Do you see the flashing envelope?

Brandon

jleon22
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

That is the expected behavior as the MWI lamp only lights up for the primary extension. The other extensions should still have a little envelope status indicating a message.

You may be able to fiddle in Unity to use alternate extensions to light the primary extension's lamp when messages get left on the other lines. Just thinking aloud.

hope that helps!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robert,

Just to add a note to the great info from Brandon (+5"B") I just tested this to verify it works.

If the 3rd line on the phone is 7001 for example, make sure to set

Message Waiting Lamp Policy

on the 7001 DN config page. Also make sure that you clear out the new messages and send

a new message to 7001 to test

Cheers!

Rob