Replies

Network Based Recording on Cisco Router 4331

R Ba
Level 1
Level 1

Dear 

Our topology as below 

PSTN ------PRI E1---Cisco Router 4331 SIP GW----CUCM 11.5 ---Cisco SIP IP Phone

we need to record all outbound calls from Cisco SIP IP Phone through PSTN PRI, our customer asked for network-based recording option.

My questions

1- what is the configuration required on SIP Gateway to support recording calls through PRI (E1) Circuits

2- Will we need additional CUBE licenses on this SIP Gateway 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

R Ba
Level 1
Level 1

For Update 

we succeed to record All calls through Cisco GW (PRI Connection)  by using SIPrec method , we added "hairpen" dial peer before POTS dial peer to convert all call leg to be SIP-SIP  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

b.winter
VIP
VIP

The “must be SIP-to-SIP” restriction is missing in the newer CUBE 17.6+ Network Based Recording config guide. Admittedly, the “forking of calls on a TDM leg” is confusing but I believe that to be poor wording by the doc team since there would never be a CUCM-facing POTS/TDM call leg. I would ask your Cisco Collab PSS/TSA to chase down a confirmation that TDM-to-SIP would work for this feature.

mradell
Level 1
Level 1

So for clarification, a CUBE connects IP to IP. Your current configuration is using the 4331 as a Voice Gateway, connecting TDM (E1) to IP (CUCM SIP). You can't use any type of Gateway/CUBE based recording in this configuration that i'm aware of. You also don't need CUBE licenses in this configuration. There are a few different options for recording in your situation that I can think of off-hand:

Span recording - You configure the gateway to span any traffic that comes across it to a recording server. The recording server would need to be correctly configured to accept this traffic.

Built-In-Bridge Recording - You set up recording that uses the Built-In-Bridge on the phone to fork audio from the phone to the recording server via a SIP trunk.

Use a second gateway - You implement a second gateway as a CUBE to record and route all calls through this gateway from CUCM in both directions. That way you would be SIP-SIP. It's not an elegant solution and does add additional points of failure, along with routing changes in the CUCM. Then you could use Network Based Recording, Dial-Peer Based Recording, or SIPRec. For that you would need CUBE licenses. I believe each standard trunk license supports 1 bi-directional call and 1 media fork, but you'd want to confirm all this with a Cisco Partner.

Convert your PSTN from an E1 to SIP - This would of course allow you to be SIP-SIP and use Gateway/CUBE based recording methods.

R Ba
Level 1
Level 1

For Update 

we succeed to record All calls through Cisco GW (PRI Connection)  by using SIPrec method , we added "hairpen" dial peer before POTS dial peer to convert all call leg to be SIP-SIP  

Hi

Able to provide your configuration on how to enable gateway recoding with pstn? Especially on the hairpen? Thanks