cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice module for Cisco 2911 router

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I have an SM-SRE-700 voice module. Can I install this module in a Cisco 2911 router? The SM-SRE-700 voice module was pulled from a Cisco 2911 at my job that was not being used. I have a test network with working Cisco phones running on the 2911. I want to try to configure voice mail on my test network .

Thank you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that module will go into a Cisco 2911 router. (If it came out of one, it stands to reason it would go into another.)

Are you hoping to install Unity Connection on it? I know you can install Unity Connection in SRSV mode on that module. It also supports Cisco Unity Express. I don't know if you can install full Unity Connection, though.

Maren

View solution in original post

I have one 2911 with SM-SRE-700 in my lab.. You can use SM-SRE-700 on 2911 and configure unity express up to 8.6. Unity express 9 and 10 are virtual and not supported on SM-SRE-700.

For unity express virtual  you  you need Cisco UCS/Cisco UCS E-Series Platforms. Unity express 9 and 10 are EOS and the replacement will be unity connection. Unity connection can be installed on  Cisco UCS/Cisco UCS E-Series

So better make use of unity connection if you need to test voicemail as the setup you are trying is quite old method. 

Response Signature

It depends, if you have the unity express on SRE module, make use of it.And if my memory serves correct unity express gives you two free licenses which you can use it for trial . If not available download from https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283671889/type/282774362/release/8.6.4

Getting a license for this version is not possible. As it crossed EOS. Even you wont be able to purchase the license for version 9 & 10 these are EOS.

Response Signature

7 Replies 7

Yes, that module will go into a Cisco 2911 router. (If it came out of one, it stands to reason it would go into another.)

Are you hoping to install Unity Connection on it? I know you can install Unity Connection in SRSV mode on that module. It also supports Cisco Unity Express. I don't know if you can install full Unity Connection, though.

Maren

Thank you for the information. I have never made this configuration before so I will learn as I go. I have a friend that has a lot of experience configuring Cisco phones. If I get stuck, he said he would help me out. I think I am going to install unity express. I will be using this link as a guide:

https://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-voice/888-cisco-unity-express-sre-300-700.html

The SM-SRE-700 was installed on an old 2911 here at the job, but I don't know if they were using it or not. At my organization, we have started to deploy Teams phones. The transition should be complete in 2 weeks. 

Thanks.

I’m with Maren on this. If you took the module out of a 2911 it would also work in another 2911.

Response Signature

I have one 2911 with SM-SRE-700 in my lab.. You can use SM-SRE-700 on 2911 and configure unity express up to 8.6. Unity express 9 and 10 are virtual and not supported on SM-SRE-700.

For unity express virtual  you  you need Cisco UCS/Cisco UCS E-Series Platforms. Unity express 9 and 10 are EOS and the replacement will be unity connection. Unity connection can be installed on  Cisco UCS/Cisco UCS E-Series

So better make use of unity connection if you need to test voicemail as the setup you are trying is quite old method. 

Response Signature

Yes, I will try to configure Unity express on the 2911. Is Unity express 8.6 built in to the SM-SRE-700 module, or is 8.6 a separate download? Do I need a paid license to use Unity express 8.6? It's a test network and I have no money.

Thank you.

It depends, if you have the unity express on SRE module, make use of it.And if my memory serves correct unity express gives you two free licenses which you can use it for trial . If not available download from https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283671889/type/282774362/release/8.6.4

Getting a license for this version is not possible. As it crossed EOS. Even you wont be able to purchase the license for version 9 & 10 these are EOS.

Response Signature

I will start the configuration this weekend. Two questions.

1. Once I get the SRE module installed, how can I confirm that Unity is installed on the module? 

2. When you say two free licenses, do you mean I can only run 2 phones on the Unity interface?

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: