Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying files between routers

blakem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to copy files between routers (by enabling FTP server), and to FTP server on my LAN. I would like to schedule the copying using kron, and copy files in bulk (e.g. mput or cp *).

The IOS command I was hoping would work is 'copy flash:/test/* ftp:......' but this doesn't work - are there any easy ways of doing this?

Many thanks,

Michael

5 Replies 5

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

you can do this easily through tftp server.

1. setup a tftp server.

2. copy file from the router to tftp server.

copy flash: tftp:

3. copy file on tftp server to router.

copy tftp: flash:

hope it helps ... rate if it does ...

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

hi

try the use of COPY FLASH TFTP. instead of FTP.

HTH

Hi,

Sorry, I know about copying individual files.. I would like to copy all the files in a directory in the flash memory to another router or server (with a single command) if possible, and then setup a kron job to do this regularly..

I've read about TCL, but haven't found any easy examples ...

Regards,

Michale

I suggest to write the script that inlcude all steps when copy the file via console. The router can be acted a TFTP server and I usually use it when I need to upgrade other local devices.

Hope this helps.

dhavaltandel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can copy your Flash image as well your running or startup configuration on local as well remote FTP server.

The thing is you must have the username and the password of FTP server and need to setup on Cisco Router by,

ip ftp username cisco

ip ftp password cisco123

thanafter issur the command

copy flash: ftp:

you will be ask for the remote host ip, give your ftp ip address here and you will get your file in to the default ftp directory.

For Scheduling you can try following as command scheduling. [this has not been tested but you can try if it works]

Router(config)# kron policy-list backup

Router(config-kron-policy)# cli copy flash: ftp:IP_Address

Router(config)# kron occurrence backup at 22:00 Mon recurring

Router(config-kron-occurrence)# policy-list backup

[Make sure you have setup ip ftp username and password]

Verify by

Router# show kron schedule

Router(config-kron-policy)# exit

Regards,

Dhaval Tandel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card