Helpful
Replies

How do I resolve VTP issue?

john.wright
Level 3
Level 3

I made my 9 switch stack the VTP ser

ver yesterday. Today I get VTP message that says:

Feb  1 10:35:49: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: St9  (KBCSTACK01-9). I am getting this for devices in the stack. In addition I made another switch (a non-stacked switch) a VTP server as well. The revision and exisiting vlans match on both devices.

Show vtp status says:

VTP Version                     : running VTP2
Configuration Revision          : 31
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 24
VTP Operating Mode              : Server
VTP Domain Name                 : jergens
VTP Pruning Mode                : Enabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Enabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled
MD5 digest                      : 0x17 0x26 0x91 0x2F 0x80 0x81 0x01 0x51
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St1 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St2 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St3 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St4 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St5 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St6 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St7 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St8 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St9 ***
Configuration last modified by 10.49.1.62 at 1-31-10 12:31:26
Local updater ID is 10.49.1.62 on interface Vl1 (lowest numbered VLAN interface

23 Replies 23

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi John

Do you have  a VTP password set on these switches ? Are they matching ? Can you give a "show vtp statistics" to see if the config digest errors are increasing?

This is what I saw in CCO:

The general purpose of an MD5 value is to verify the integrity of a received packet and to detect any changes to the packet or corruption of the packet during transit. When a switch detects a new revision number that is different from the currently stored value, the switch sends a request message to the VTP server and requests the VTP subsets. A subset advertisement contains a list of VLAN information. The switch calculates the MD5 value for the subset advertisements and compares the value to the MD5 value of the VTP summary advertisement. If the two values are different, the switch increases the No of config digest errors counter.

A common reason for these digest errors is that the VTP password is not configured consistently on all VTP servers in the VTP domain. Troubleshoot these errors as a misconfiguration or data corruption issue.

When you troubleshoot this problem, ensure that the error counter is not historical. The statistics menu counts errors since the most recent device reset or the VTP statistics reset.

Raj

No password

was set

And here is the newest sh vtp sta

BCSTACK01#sh vtp sta
VTP Version                     : running VTP2
Configuration Revision          : 31
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs        : 24
VTP Operating Mode              : Server
VTP Domain Name                 : jergens
VTP Pruning Mode                : Enabled
VTP V2 Mode                     : Enabled
VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled
MD5 digest                      : 0x17 0x26 0x91 0x2F 0x80 0x81 0x01 0x51
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St1 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St2 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St3 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St4 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St5 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St6 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St7 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St8 ***
*** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: St9 ***
Configuration last modified by 10.49.1.62 at 1-31-10 12:31:26
Local updater ID is 10.49.1.62 on interface Vl1 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

And the logg is showing the same message about every 5 min.

eb  1 11:21:38: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: St5  (KBCSTACK01-5)

Feb  1 11:21:38: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: St8  (KBCSTACK01-8)
(KBCSTACK01-8)
Feb  1 11:21:38: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: St4  (KBCSTACK01-4)
(KBCSTACK01-4)
Feb  1 11:21:38: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: St7  (KBCSTACK01-7)

I would go into config mode on all of your switches and set a password for VTP.

vtp password (hidden)

I would also check and make sure all switches are set to the same VTP version, it appears your VTP server is using VTP v2.

vtp version {1 | 2 | 3}

I did set the vtp servers (there are two one of which serves as the backup) to v2. All the switches are v.2

If I set password do I only need to do it on the vtp server?

You'll need to set that password on all switches.

Any luck?

I really don't want to create a password for all switches.

I may try to set the switch stack to transparent mode and then back to server mode to see if that solves it.

Thanks for checking in!

Please Raj don't copy and past solutions of others. Try to write yours.

Brian Slattery
Level 1
Level 1

Have you checked to make sure that all of your hosts have the password for VTP set correctly?

Have you checked to make sure that all of your hosts have the password for VTP set correctly?

I have not set a pssword.

Brian

I found out what the problem was for this VTP digest mismatch. There is a bug in the IOS code I am running (12.2(40)SE on the 3750s.

The resolve is to simply create another vlan that you will never use.

Been following this....thanks for the update.

Thanks a lot i had been trying to resolve the issue looked into vlan 6 status error and vlan 4 status error a lot but your trick worked for me and my students, thanks again

Ankur.

12.2(55)SE4 - the bug still there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco