Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&P VM Resizing ways

silvakizir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.

I've read many posts but unfortunately I did not come to a conclusion.

I have the below scenarios of IM&P version 14 with 1,000 & 5,000 & 15,000 devices and I would like your opinion.

silvakizir_0-1674207124464.png

• Lets say I have a live and running IM&P version 14 VM with 5,000 devices and I want to resize it to 15,000 devices. In this case I need 2 more vCPUs and 2GB additional vRAM as CPU frequency and vDisk number/capacity remains the same. Can I shut down the VM, just manually from edit settings increase the vCPU to 4 and vRAM to 8Gb and power on the VM and everything will work as expected or is it better/recommended to take a backup, deploy a new 15,000 devices OVA and restore the server cause I've seen both answers?
  • Lets say I have a live and running IM&P version 14 VM with 1,000 devices and I want to resize it to 5,000 devices. In this case I need 1 more vCPU and one more 80Gb vDisk. I assume that CPU frequency from 2.00 to 2.50GHz will be adjusted without any actions from me. Can I shut down the VM, just manually from edit settings increase the vCPU to 2 and add a second 80Gb vDisk and power on the VM and everything will work as expected or is it better/recommended to take a backup, deploy a new 5,000 devices OVA?
  • What about similar resizing needs in CUCM, CUC, CUCCX? Which resizing actions should I follow?
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@silvakizir wrote:
  • Lets say I have a live and running IM&P version 14 VM with 5,000 devices and I want to resize it to 15,000 devices. In this case I need 2 more vCPUs and 2GB additional vRAM as CPU frequency and vDisk number/capacity remains the same. Can I shut down the VM, just manually from edit settings increase the vCPU to 4 and vRAM to 8Gb and power on the VM and everything will work as expected or is it better/recommended to take a backup, deploy a new 15,000 devices OVA and restore the server cause I've seen both answers?

Yes that is possible.

@silvakizir wrote:
  • Lets say I have a live and running IM&P version 14 VM with 1,000 devices and I want to resize it to 5,000 devices. In this case I need 1 more vCPU and one more 80Gb vDisk. I assume that CPU frequency from 2.00 to 2.50GHz will be adjusted without any actions from me. Can I shut down the VM, just manually from edit settings increase the vCPU to 2 and add a second 80Gb vDisk and power on the VM and everything will work as expected or is it better/recommended to take a backup, deploy a new 5,000 devices OVA?

No you cannot do that. As you need to add a disk you'll need to do a backup and restore of DRA.

@silvakizir wrote:
  • What about similar resizing needs in CUCM, CUC, CUCCX? Which resizing actions should I follow?

Each system has their own recommendations, you'd need to look it up per system type as there is no one fits all.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

@silvakizir wrote:

Yes that is possible.

@silvakizir wrote:

No you cannot do that. As you need to add a disk you'll need to do a backup and restore of DRA.

@silvakizir wrote:

Each system has their own recommendations, you'd need to look it up per system type as there is no one fits all.

Response Signature

silvakizir
Level 1
Level 1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: