Views
Helpful
Replies

3702 to migration 9800 controller

marcelnjkoks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i have a 3702 registered to a 5500 WLC, and i need to migrate this to a new 9800 controller. 

Can this be done (compatibility), and if so, what needs to happen with licenses? Do i need to get a DNA license for that AP?

26 Replies 26

My controllers are on the same subnet. 

My 5508, labbing this up for you, has four APs.  2802, 3802, 2702 and 3702.

With 9800-40 turned off, I configured the APs for primary, name and IP of 9800, secondary is 5508, and tertiary is my home network and would have to change the port’s vlan for them to find the controller.

tdennehy_0-1692065368067.png

Access points are happy with the 9800 turned off.  When I boot it up, the APs go over to the 9800.

I put this in the config of the 9800 to simulate a fictitious hospital environment:

ap 70db.98e6.fdd8

policy-tag Hospital_Campus_Policy_Tag

rf-tag Hospital_Campus_RF_Tag

site-tag Hospital_Campus_Site_Tag

ap 502f.a879.41f0

ap cc9c.3ef5.1530

ap 2cd0.2df8.384a

ap 500f.80f5.a3e4

The APs find the controller and start broadcasting. 

Are your controllers layer 2 adjacent?  Are the literally on the same VLAN?  Can they ping each other?  Do you have mobility setup between them?

I have tested with 3800 model by simply adding the primary controller name/IP and has no issue finding/joining the new controller. Old controller/new controller/aps are not on the same vlan but every site vlan database is all the info, trunks are allowed adequately, we have a total of 11 sites. New controller and old controller can ping each other, no issue there. I can ping both controllers from every site including from the all site ap vlans. We do not have mobility setup between them (last resort).

What model is the old WLC?
What version of software is running on the old WLC?
Hint: you should be running one of the software versions mentioned below.

Here's what I'm running on the 5508:  AS_5500_8_5_182_105.aes  You have to poke around for it, so here's the link. 

Software Download - Cisco Systems

Then put this bundle on it:  AP_BUNDLE_5500_8_5_182_105.aes (should be same link)

Here's what is on the 9800:  C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.09.03.SPA.bin  (you should be able to track this one down)

The part that stumps me is that you have not said "my 3702 is stuck in downloading" on my 5508.  Just for grins, how about putting that code on the controllers if it is a lab-type environment.  My setup is labbed up and working, with those four APs associated, and a 9166.  My SSIDs are broadcasting.

Are you running 17.9.3 on the 9800?  That is what I am using.  I have a 2702, 3702, 2802 and 3802 on there.  I used the name of the controller and the IP when I told them to go to the 9800.  

If you do that and they still won't move, try rebooting the one that won't budge.

marcelnjkoks
Level 1
Level 1

thanks Scott, much appreciated!

No problem.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any AP registering to 9800 WLC's require mandatory DNA & Network licenses. So if you are purchasing licenses for existing AP's SKU is "AIR-DNA" and then choose the number of licenses required.

Cisco 3700 series AP's are already announced EOL in 2024. 

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Aironet 3700 Series Access Points - Cisco

Cisco 3700 series AP's are last supported in 17.3.X

Release Notes for Cisco Catalyst 9800 Series Wireless Controller, Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.x - Cisco

IOS-XE Code 17.3 also will be End of SW Maintenance by early 2023.

Cisco IOS XE 17 - End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco IOS XE 17.3.x - Cisco

Considering the global semi-conductor issue causing delivery issues, you may consider upgrading your AP to a new Catalyst 9000 series AP. Rather than purchasing the license now and then the AP later in another one year or one and half years; you can plan the upgrade at once by purchasing both AP and the license. (there is huge possibility even though you place the order now AP's will be delivered next year due to logistical issues with Cisco, so you can still make use of your existing AP till it reaches it's EOL)

Regarding this statement, "Any AP registering to 9800 WLC's require mandatory DNA & Network licenses. So if you are purchasing licenses for existing AP's SKU is "AIR-DNA" and then choose the number of licenses required."

I don't understand why someone would have to purchase DNA licenses if they don't use DNA.

My issue resolved with AP3700/9800. Issue was as stupid as WLC name. 3700 only takes case sensitive WLC name exactly as the host name.

Easy mistake to make - always copy and paste the name if you're not using all lower or all upper case.

@tdennehy nobody understands that - it's how Cisco figured they could force all customers to buy DNA licenses in the hope that they would try and like DNA. (I should note that that is my own personal opinion but I cannot see any other rational explanation)

It's just as bad on the new router platforms where all the licenses, even the bandwidth licenses, are tied to DNA.

It's a slow move towards the Meraki model of the service being 100% subscription based - even though you own your hardware you only rent the right to use it.  Meraki at least includes support with the subscription - Cisco expects you to pay the subscription and buy the support on top of that.  At the moment at least the DNA subscription comes together with the perpetual network license for base (non-DNA) features (and that's the only way to get that license) but won't surprise me if they start to try phasing that out over time.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card