cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9120AX login fails after reset

neil_titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all and thanks in advance for any advice.

I have had the same issue now with two 9120AX APs where following a hard reset, pressing the reset button for longer than 20 seconds, I'm unable to login to the device either by SSH or console.  Neither the username/password it received from the WLC prior to reset or the Cisco default Cisco/Cisco seem to work.  During the initial setup i.e. out of the box, Cisco/Cisco worked.

Just as an FYI prior to the reset both APs were connected to a C9800 virtual WLC.

Any advice would be most welcome.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

neil_titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all your responses and apologies for taking so long to reply.  I have found the issue and as is the case for most networking issues the problem is the user :-).  Our network is shared between two organisations, one already has WLCs deployed and use the default DNS method for finding the WLC.  The new system I'm implementing is in a different network segment but I'm testing in a part of the network that is used by the other organisation.  When I defaulted the AP it was using DNS and associating to the other organisations WLC and picking up the username/password configured on their system.

It's sorted now so thanks again for all your input.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/9120ax/quick/guide/ap9120ax-getstart.html

>...

To reset the AP to the default factory-shipped configuration, keep the mode button pressed for less than 20 seconds. The AP configuration files are cleared.

>...

To clear the AP internal storage, including all configuration files, keep the mode button pressed for more than 20 seconds, but less than 60 seconds.

I am not sure what the effect is of the complete-whipeout on the default passwords being available or not. I would suggest 1) Remove all network cables 2) Boot with console connected and follow the complete boot process, check if anything suggest that the ap can still be made usable or not !

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Just to add. I have done the full reset on my 9120’s and 9130’s. They default to factory with the cisco/Cisco unless they joined the controller again, in which I have set an ap username and password. Like what was mentioned, console into the ap and power it up and look at the output. That typically will give you the answer.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott. I was trying cisco/cisco (Not Cisco).

Grendizer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The behavior changed "to boost security" starts on AireOS 8.10 MR1 and 9800 16.12.2s for COS/Wave-2 APs and Catalyst/802.11ax APs too.
This is documented in AireOS 8.10 MR1 release notes here
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn810mr2.html
((
If an AP locks out the console due to default management user credentials, you must configure the controller AP global credential with non-default username and password to get access to the AP console.
))
more info:
When AP is fresh out of the box, or after rebooting from Mode button pressing "less than 20 seconds" or software-triggered factory default reset, it has the default username/password “cisco/Cisco”
when the AP join the WLC"AireOS or eWLC"9800" with above code and the AP successfully enters RUN state then the WLC/eWLC will push the configured username/password, if this is not configured on the WLC/eWLC then you can't access the AP thru console/ssh

In your situation, because you pressed the Mode button for more than 20 seconds, open a TAC case so TAC engineer will try to help you.

neil_titchener
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all your responses and apologies for taking so long to reply.  I have found the issue and as is the case for most networking issues the problem is the user :-).  Our network is shared between two organisations, one already has WLCs deployed and use the default DNS method for finding the WLC.  The new system I'm implementing is in a different network segment but I'm testing in a part of the network that is used by the other organisation.  When I defaulted the AP it was using DNS and associating to the other organisations WLC and picking up the username/password configured on their system.

It's sorted now so thanks again for all your input.

AP factory reset steps:
Reset the AP Cisco IOS Software

1.Disconnect power from the AP. ...
2.Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the AP.
3.Hold the MODE button until the Status LED turns amber, and then release the button.
4.Sometime AP will jump into boot mode, then we must enter command boot and press enter.

vaneetkumarc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello sir,

we have one cisco c9120 axi-d AP. we have try to configure that but we have reset that device more then 40 sec. after then we unable to login because all configuration is changed in deferent language. shanp shot attahed herecisco c9120 axi-d error.jpg

if any solution of this please reply asap

@vaneetkumarc you did not mention the software version (which is important) but you are probably running a recent release of IOS-XE where the default baud rate of the AP console is now 115200 so if you do a factory default reset the baud rate will change to 115200.  Change your terminal baud rate to 115200 and it should work fine.  Always read the release notes!
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-12/release-notes/rn-17-12-9800.html
"- From this release, the default console baud rate of the 802.11AX APs is changed from 9600 bps to 115200 bps."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card