Replies

C9115AXI-EWC-E Mixed with AP 1852i ME

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

we have an ME deployment with two1852i 

now we bought 4x C9115AXI-EWC-E  

can you tell me if its better to create the Ewc new deployment and then join 1852i as “members” of the new “cluster”? ( assuming upgrade to 8.10 on the ME)

Are they compatible or should I leave the ME as it is , and create a new enviroment with the new 9115?

regards

48 Replies 48

Hi Again

Messing arround with cisco 9115axi-ewc...

first time I test it it brings up air provisioning and my test switch only had access ports and default vlan1.

after some vlan config and configuring trunk and also enable a WLAN , i lost the MGMT of the EWC AP.

i have done a wireless ewc-ap factory reset and the AP is again on day0 config on CLI , but I am not able to see the provision ssid.. 

what is wrong? for initial config is dhcp external needed?

Because on the first boot provision ssid cames up and internal dhcp server on the cisco 9115 also.

AP is blinking green and red...

Regards

Take a look at this thread or search, "Cisco EWC lost connection to Management".  You can find what others have done.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/cisco-9120axi-ewc-e-deployment-not-working/td-p/4111785

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Make sure the management is native vlan on the trunk.  All Cisco ap's require that the ap management is not tagged.

-Scott

Already read that. Thanks for the info. 
But no luck. Still my lab is not working..

at some time today I had the provision ssid visible and get to  WebUi. 
strange. It assumes 192.168.1.x IP. 
the cisco provision ssid gets addresses from internal DHCP correct? 

because I never had a dhcp in this lab. Only a Switch and 2 AP cisco9115axi-ewc. 
version is 16.12. 
is it possible to upgrade not having connectivity, like stoping the boot or something

The ap needs to get an ip from an external DHCP server.  During the initial startup aka, day 0, the ap will be a DHCP server so that a client that connects to the provisioning SSID will get an ip address.  The guides should state that and also explain the use of an external DHCP server.  You should be able to create a DHCP scope on the router or your switch if its a L3.

-Scott

Rich R
VIP
VIP

By default you should have an external DHCP server for the WLC and AP components of the EWC to get IP addresses from - they *both* need an IP address.  If you don't use DHCP then you need to give the WLC a static IP *and* you also need to configure the static IP for CAPWAP on the AP via the AP shell (console to AP from WLC).  Make your life easy - use DHCP initially at least.

Hi 

I already configure in the a Mobility express solution with internal DHcp scopes for mgmt (ME AND AP’s) and also for clients in diferent vlans. 

The EWC that resides inside the cisco9115axi-ewc is not capable of that?

if it was a physical wlc controller , i agree with you.. being a Ewc “virtual” , I assumed it can be done the same way as the ME. 

But of course, I can be totally wrong regarding best pratice of implementation. 

thanks for the overall help on this. 

thanks

It might work - I've never tried it. 

Does your AP get an IP address when using the EWC WLC as your DHCP server?

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Hope that you guys do not ever going through this nightmare.

So I will let you with the latest developments:

After the first try to configure EWC on cisco 9115AXI-EWC, we lose connectivity and ping to the MGMT IP address or web.

Several troubleshoot result in zero results.

Today I try something that I never tried and seems to work:

1. Grab the AP that is with 16.12.04 and converted it to Capwap

link: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html#h_32174903681636038372996

Seems to work like a repair and the AP turns to a dummy AP only, waiting and discovering for a controller.

After that we need to get it back to be a EWC, but now with a upgraded image 17.6.04. (C9800-AP-universalk9.17.06.04.zip)

link:https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

Surprise! after this, the EWC comes up after 25 min of repair and upgrade and Cisco Air Provision is there again for configuration, without any need of external DHCP server. Only a Switch , a PC with a TfTP and the **bleep** of the CIsco 9115

Now lets proceed with the other 4 Cisco's 9115 and check the next episodes..

And after this we also need to join existing 1832i to this solution.

We will get to this! As always with some knowledge, some support of community and some luck and frustration

Regards and thanks once more!

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Glad to hear you worked it out.

16.12 is rather old - always refer to TAC recommended versions - link below.

Hi Rich

next step is to move some old ME deployed 1832i and 1852i to this EWC

Since ME is on 8.5.131, do we need to upgrade the 1800 series to some 8.10 for the joining to be successful?

Test one as-is and see - otherwise you might need to upgrade to 8.5.182.0 or 8.10.162.0 or later because there were changes in the CAPWAP protocol which can cause compatibility issues.

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all 

After a few time I am back

I have 2 AP EWC capable on, but when I disconnect the current active controller , there is no standby. 

beconnect_0-1684856519978.png

What could be the cause? 

Monitoring says that stanby is disabled

Could you help?

Thanks

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All almost at the end of the configuration of c9115axi. Working with default vlan 1 now.

Its not easy or straightforward but we get there.

I have now vlan X for AP mgmt and vlan Y for SSID 

I have configured the SW port as trunk with both vlans X,Y and X is the native.

Int the Embedded controller do I need to create profiles and policies with that vlans?

Where do I change the ssid to get vlan Y and get dhcp from a pool created on the controller?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card