Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixing regulatory domain in one WLC

michaelw2371
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have a WLC 3504 in Mexico that has some Cisco CAP2702E-N-K9 and AP2802E-A-K9 APs Connected to it. So regulatory domain -N and -A

Can we add a C9120AXI-B to it? We want to use the WLC in Mexico to control our Access Point in the US (with regulatory domain  -B)

Cisco has an article (regarding the change in the US of Regulatory Domains from -A to-B) that this is possible.

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff: It’s Okay to Mix Cisco Access Points - Cisco Blogs

Does someone have some epicenes with it? I think this not that uncommon.

Thanks,
Michael

9 Replies 9

@michaelw2371 once i have tested this. i didnt found any technical issue on that. but i dont know about regulations in your country. technically its tested.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've seen this setup with multiple customer. Even though it is tested, I don't prefer the run multiple country codes in single controller.

If you have different country code APs supported on single WLC, your channel selection will be limited to common channels allowed on both countries and also power limitation by the country.

CJ

/**Please rate all useful responses**/

Hi

Yes, this is very common and used.  Worldwide companies that use one WLC pair on the Data Center and spread Access Points all over the world have no alternative but enable many Regulatory domains to stay in complaince with every local regulatory agency.

Theorically the problem relies on you installing an Access Point which Regulatory domain belonging to another country and therefore not ratified by Mexico´s Regulatory Agency  Then, your local Regulatory Agency eventually could  forbid you from using that Access Point. 

michaelw2371
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your fast answers.

It is reassuring that it should work.

I don't think we get in legal troubles. The Accesspoint's with -A and -N are in Mexico, where they supposed to be. -B would be in the US, also the Right place. If the WLC decides to only allow the in Common Chanels then there shouldn't be any Problems - i think.

If i order some -B APs, do i need to change some configs in the WLC to allow the additional Regulatory Domain?

BTW: the reason behind that is we don't want an additional WLC for 1 or 2 APs, it's just not worth it.

Greetings, 
Michael

I dont believe you will ever have problem. Access point barelly can cover the area we need it to cover. In order to have trouble you need to send signal  to some system like radar which I believe is very unlike.

jagan.chowdam
Spotlight
Spotlight

As long as US Country code selected, -B APs should work.

This is a good article from Rasika - 

https://mrncciew.com/2013/04/07/configuring-country-codes-on-wlc/

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@michaelw2371 wrote:
Can we add a C9120AXI-B to it?

Only 2.4 Ghz will work.  5.0 Ghz will be "admin down".

I think, as per the other answers it should be fine as it's a valid regulatory domain for country code US - confirmed on https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html
5 GHz radio will work normally.

michaelw2371
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks.

I will try it with a C9120AXI-B when it arrives and post my result.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card