cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple sites using the same SSID but different WLANS

skelley5000
Level 1
Level 1

when I try to enable a WLAN that is using the same SSID as another WLAN I get this message

The following errors occurred while updating the WLAN:

WLAN with duplicate SSID and L2 security policy found.

each location has its own interface because each site is setup on our 6509 with a different VLAN. What is the best way to work around this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That a look at what George posted. You have to understand that you only need to create the one SSID. Te interface you specify in the WLAN gets override by what interface you define in your AP Group.

To make its easy:

SSID: secure

AP Group: Site 1

Interface: vlan x

AP Group: Site 2

Interface: vlan y

AP Group: Site 3

Interface: vlan z

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you are trying to do will not work as you can see. The best way is to define your dynamic interfaces if traffic will come back to the WLC and create ap groups. This will allow you to specify APs to have a particular SSID and you define what interface you want the traffic to egress. If you plan on putting traffic local to the site of the access points, then you will need to look into FlexConnect.

-Scott

We will be using HREAP, but all traffic comes back the main site, so there is no reason for the sites to have local switching. I have AP groups setup for each site and each interface is a dynamic interface.

Hummmm... Why are you using HREAP if you are brining back all the traffic ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Because we only have a T1 between the sites and being health care provider we have to make sure the traffic is secure in between the sites.

So break down HREAP. Just do AP grooups like Scott mentioned .

__________________________________________________________________________________________

That goes back too, I have 2 WLAN's, different interfaces because of the VLAN's are different but same SSID. I can't have the SSID enabled on both WLAN's? So how will having AP goups help me if I can't enable the SSID?

Maybe I am missing something ...

You have the same SSIDs but you are mapping them to different VLANs . This is purpose of AP groups. Check this link http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/3/22/cisco-ap-group-nugget.html

Its a video I posted on my blog about ap groups ..

HREAP is used to dump traffic local. You arent looking to do that. You want to bring the traffic back and still have subnets only for that office. Yes ?  Then AP groups..

Hi Scott,

I have this request where I have to advertise the same SSID on both local-mode APs and FlexConnect APs.

For this reason I have to create two SSIDs, same name, same authentication (802.1x). Any tips for this scenario?

Hi Florin,

How did you implemented this?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That a look at what George posted. You have to understand that you only need to create the one SSID. Te interface you specify in the WLAN gets override by what interface you define in your AP Group.

To make its easy:

AP Group: Site 1

Interface: vlan x

AP Group: Site 2

Interface: vlan y

AP Group: Site 3

Interface: vlan z

-Scott

I see, Sorry I understand better when seeing then I do reading.... Thanks guys for the help

pankaj.bandewar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

Can anyone help me in doing this.

Kindly share step by step procedure how to achieve this..

i have 5508 Controller in HA with 8.0.115.0 release.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card