Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem on Cisco AP 1240AG and External Antenna

Tang-Suan Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all :

I am setting and configure the Cisco AP 1240AG with 5GHz External Antenna extension. The whole product is called iWap. The problem now is that the wireless signal amplitude only can reach 3 bars instaed of ful 5 bars.

Please help below few questions I have for this setup and configuration :

1. What is the default or original frequency of antenna of Cisco AP1240AG? Can a 5GHz antenna work with the AP 1240AG whereby it is run with 802.11a and 802.11g?

2. If 5GHz antenna can work with 802.11a or 802.11g, what is the setting or configuration needed to be done at the Cisco 1240AG? Or, no setting or configuration needed because it will automatically work by default?

Many Thanks in advance and best regards,

tangsuan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1240 is the product "line," 1242 is the specific model.  The come in both G and AG variants. The link below is a picture of an AG variant (with both an 2.4 Ghz "A" radio and a 5 Ghz "G" radio).  The two antenna ports on the top in the blow image are for the 5 Ghz radio, and there should be some blue text indicating as much.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/prod_large_photo0900aecd8031d92d.jpg

If you don't have the two antenna ports on top, and just have two near the ethernet and console ports, then you have a "G" model, which only have a 2.4 Ghz radio.  See my pic below.  G model on the left, AG on the right.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of antenna are you using? With the 1242AG you need one antenna for the 2.4 and another for the 5.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen :

Thanks for your reply!

Is it the two antennas you mentioned same type of antenna? Or it is one type for 2.4GHz only and another type for 5GHz only?

Please help to clearify.

Is the Cisco AP originally supplied two antennas in the same type whereby they can take both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Or it comes with two antennas whereby one for 2.4GHz and another for 5GHz respectively?

Thanks and best regards,

tangsuan

Tangsuan,

The 1242AG has two antenna ports for the 2.4ghz and 2 fo the 5ghz which is close together.  The antennas are not supplied with the AP unless you purchase them.  The 5ghz antennas from Cisco, usually has a blue dot or marking, that designates them as for use on the 5ghz.  Here is a link to their antenna reference guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott :

Thanks to your answer.

Is 1240AG same as 1242AG? This is because I saw there is only 2 antenna port for 1240AG. Correct me if I am wrong.

If 1240AG comes with two antenna, is it one is 2.4G antenna and another is 5G antenna?

Thanks and best regards,

tangsuan

1240 is the product "line," 1242 is the specific model.  The come in both G and AG variants. The link below is a picture of an AG variant (with both an 2.4 Ghz "A" radio and a 5 Ghz "G" radio).  The two antenna ports on the top in the blow image are for the 5 Ghz radio, and there should be some blue text indicating as much.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/wireless/ps5678/ps6521/prod_large_photo0900aecd8031d92d.jpg

If you don't have the two antenna ports on top, and just have two near the ethernet and console ports, then you have a "G" model, which only have a 2.4 Ghz radio.  See my pic below.  G model on the left, AG on the right.

Hi Matt :

Thanks to your answer!

Now I am clear what is the correct antenna model that I want. Your answer is very much appreciated.

Regards,

tangsuan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card