cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8832 connectivity?

happyharry1958
Level 1
Level 1

Does a new 8832 Conference phone supposed to come with a LAN or power injector. We are POE,however doesn't it need some sort of Ethernet injector or brick? The phone I received had nothing in the box with it. Is the injector/brick ordered separate?.....Thanks,

11 Replies 11

Ratheesh Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there

●   Power over Ethernet (PoE): A Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Ethernet Injector is required. Please order CP-8832-K9, CP-8832-W-K9, CP-8832-EU-K9, CP-8832-EU-W-K9 or CP-8832-NR-K9, which includes the Ethernet injector inside the base package.

Before You Begin

Ensure that you have the latest firmware version installed on your Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Check for updated device packages here:

https:/​/​www.cisco.com/​c/​en/​us/​td/​docs/​voice_ip_comm/​cucm/​compat/​matrix/​CMDP_​BK_​CCBDA741_​00_​cucm-device-package-compatibility-matrix.html

Procedure

Step 1   Choose the power source for the phone:
  • Power over Ethernet (PoE) using either the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 PoE Injector or the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Ethernet Injector. North American users can use either injector. Outside North America, users must use the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 PoE Injector.

• Non-PoE using the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Ethernet Injector and a power adapter.

For more information, see Ways to Provide Power to Your Conference Phone.

Step 2   Connect the phone to the switch.
  • If you use PoE:
    1. Plug the Ethernet cable into the LAN port.

2. Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into either the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 PoE Injector or the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Ethernet Injector.

3. Connect the injector to the conference phone with the USB-C cable.

• If you do not use PoE:
    1. Plug the power adapter into the electrical outlet.

2. Connect the power adapter to the Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Ethernet Injector using a USB-C cable.

3. Plug the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet injector.

4. Plug the Ethernet cable into the LAN port.

5. Connect the Ethernet injector to the conference phone using a second USB-C cable.

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

I don't think that answers the question. 

I think what you are saying is the "spare part" model doesn't include a power source of any kind, for example:

CP-8832-EU-W-K9 is bundled with an Ethernet injector or an 18W power adapter (to be determined at order time)

CP-8832-EU-W-K9= has just the unit itself

The problem is that the datasheet doesn't really make it clear what the different adapters do or what regions they are necessary for. I assume that most folks already have switches supplying 15w for 802.11af class 3, so presumably no wall power socket is necessary. Some photographs on the datasheet would help.

I'm in a position to buy all the options and hopefully find out, but it's a bit wasteful.

It says something about pick one of the options when you order the non spare part. If you pick that part on CCW it asks you to configure it with a power source.

The spare doesn’t come with any power adapter like you note, and the unit has only USB-C so we are back to boxes and bricks to power these, even with PoE. That’s for sure unexpected if you don’t read closely.

Yes, I also noticed that on CCW, ordering the non-spare part code forces you to buy a power source, but I'm still bewildered by what each component does. These are the part codes mentioned on the datasheet:

CP-8832-POE
CP-8832-ETH-WW
CP-8832-INJ
PWRCLIP-EU -> Snap-in wall power adapter for continental EU (not sure about Switzerland)

The user guide provides some diagrams on four possible ways to power these phones, but the terms "PoE Injector", "Ethernet Injector", "Non-PoE Ethernet Injector" and "Ethernet Injector with the Ethernet power option" don't really help.

Since the majority probably have switches supporting 802.3af/Class3 (15.4w), I believe no wall-power is necessary (unless daisy-chaining two units). Do you know what would be the correct part codes for this case?

Regards

James.

P.S. My assumption is that the CP-8832-POE is for those who have 802.3af/Class3 capable switches and a regional combination of CP-8832-ETH-WW plus PWRCLIP-EU is for those without poe capable switches. 

James,

We order the CP-8832-POE for this which is a grey rectangular brick that plugs into the Ethernet, and has a USB-C jack. It comes with a USB-C cable to connect to the phone. I worry that the brick will get lost when moving the phone around and have ordered a spare but it is what it is.

>From my internal documentation:

The Cisco 8832 can be powered from PoE, which is the recommended model to minimize daisy chains, and the number of cables.

Order part CP-8832-POE= (stocked) for the PoE / USB-C power adapter, with USB-C cable.

Part CP-8832-PWR= only provides power for use with Wi-Fi connectivity (not used, not stocked).

Part CP-8832-ETH= (not stocked) allows for Ethernet with external AC power.

I remember taking a minute to try and figure out what these do. As far as European power, it's possible that the wall part that comes with the ETH and PWR models (or the worldwide, the data sheet makes some comment about this) is a switching supply that takes the clip on pins to work with whatever locale the power is ordered in. The ATAs I believe are like this.

The data sheet says "compatible with 802.3af and 802.3at" which is not really a good way to describe the device. I have a couple powered by the POE brick now, it reads as a Class 3 budgeting for 13.9W with CDP. Power detail shows it's drawn 9.0 peak and 7.0 idle but I don't know how much they've been used or at what volume level.

I think you'd do just fine with the -POE part.

Adam

Awesome answer, thank you Adam.

Wow, could this be any more confusing??

I ordered CP-8832-K9 from my reseller.

Product description says:

IP CONFERENCE PHONE 8832 BASE
IN CHARCOAL COLOR FOR NORTH
AMERICA. THIS ALSO INCLUDES AN
ETHERNET INJECTOR AND A 9.8-FT
(3-M) USB-C CABLE.

What actually came in the box was a CP-8832-POE (POE Injector)

It appears that the POE injector ONLY passes POE from my switch. It doesn't pass any network traffic and my switch port doesn't even acknowledge a network device is attached. Show power inline does show the switch port is providing POE and I see this by the phone being powered on, but not able to obtain IP, connect to CUCM etc.

Switch and port are configured correctly as I have other model phones connected to the switch just fine. Tested other model phones to same port I have the 8832, and they work as well.

Am I right to assume that I need the ETHERNET injector?? The diagram I saw shows I could use EITHER of the injectors (POE or ETHERNET) if I was providing POE from my switch. But I didn't see anything that indicated POE injector meant POE only.

Anyone have any insight?

Yes they made it confusing unnecessarily as you can't seem to just order the thing, there are spare pieces and a configurable SKU, but, when placing orders out to vendors they either don't configure it or just send us the main unit and forget to add the supply though they say they supply it. I've yet to figure out how to plug the words into the wall so at this point I just order the pieces separately to make sure I get what I need.

That PoE injector is a small little box so having a spare on hand isn't a bad idea for when it disappears.

>From my internal notes

CP-8832-K9=

Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Charcoal

CP-8832-W-K9=

Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 White

CP-8832-NR-K9=

Cisco IP Conference Phone 8832 Charcoal with no radios

You then choose a power supply

Order part CP-8832-POE= for the PoE / USB-C power adapter, with USB-C cable.

Part CP-8832-PWR= only provides power for use with Wi-Fi connectivity.

Part CP-8832-ETH= allows for Ethernet with external AC power.

Part CP-8832-DC= is the daisy chain kit which includes some sort of adapter, 3 USB-C cables, and a 36W power adapter. Does not use PoE.

So what is my option if I want to provide power via POE and Ethernet connectivity?

The 8832-POE brick is the one that you want.

>From reading your description it sounds like that is what you have anyways but something is not working right. It is a class 3 device requesting ~14W so it shouldn't be demanding in any way in particular, just that you're going to need good wiring pairs.

Yeah, I was wondering if I had the right part, but it just isn't working like it's supposed to.

I do have the 8832-POE and it is only providing POE from the switch port, no network connectivity for some reason.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: