Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8 and Tandberg E20

Adnan Kolakovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have tried and tried to register my E20 to the CUCM8.0(3) as a third-party SIP device (advanced) with no luck.

Does anyone have step-by-step for it.

I have configured end-user with username 1000 and digest password 12345

Configured the new device as 3rd party SIP advanced

enabled digest in the device profile

selected the previously created user as digest user

used Standard SIP Profile for the SIP profile

On the E20, I've configured the SIP Profile 1 with

Proxy 1 - IP Address of the CUCM8

Authentication username - 1000

Password - 12345

URI - 1000 (i tried 1000@ip_address_cucm)

And I can not get it to work. Can anyone help with this please. Can you see any issues with my configuration. Thanks

Adnan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Adnan,

I recently had to setup a Mitel 5224 SIP phone on CUCM 8.5.  Here are steps I went through to make it work.

Procedure for setting up a Third Party SIP device with CUCM (Mitel 5224 in this case):

CUCM one-time setup:

1. Create a SIP Profile for the third-party SIP phone which is a copy of the Standard SIP Profile

2. Create a copy of the Advanced SIP Phone Security Profile for the third-party SIP phone and check the Digest Authentication box

CUCM setup per-phone:

1.       Create the SIP Phone in CUCM as an Basic or Advanced SIP Device

( Basic requires 3 DLU's gives you 1 line. Advanced  requires 6 DLU's and gives you up to 8 lines with video)

a.       Use the SIP Profile and Security Profile you created earlier

b.      Set the phone's digest user to the end-user of the phone

c.       Create a line for the phone and note the extension

2. Find the end-user you want assigned to a phone in CUCM

a.       Set their Digest Credentials (this can be bulk assigned to be the same password for all users but is a security risk)

b.      Associate the phone with the end-user normally

Third-party SIP phone setup per-phone (This is specific to a Mitel 5224 so do whatever is necessary for your phone):

1. Boot phone while pressing the *superkey* (Blue button)
  2. Use the buttons on the phone to set it into SIP mode and phone will reboot
  3. Find Phone's IP address and login to phone admin page  (u: admin p: 5224)
  4. Select the Quick Start link on the left

a.       User ID is the extension in Call Manager

b.      User Display name is how you want the phone to display the number/user

c.       SIP Authentication User and Password are the end-user's username and SIP Digest password in CUCM

d.      SIP Proxy server is the CUCM IP address

e.      SIP Registry server is the CUCM IP address

f.        Press Apply

From what I read above perhaps your security profile isn't setup correctly?  Alternatively, if the Tandberg device doesn't distinguish between the phone username and the authentication username then then the end-user's name in CUCM must also be the extension number. If it does distingush between them you can use the phone username as the extension (do not use the @) and the authentication username as the end-user's username.

Hope this helps.

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better. Rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Hi Adnan,

Do you think you can send some detailed callmanager traces from one such registration attempt ?

I may be able to tell you what is wrong.

Regards,

Christos

toormehdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adnan,

were you ever able to make it work? I am having same issue?

Thanks.

Not a lot of useful info.

I have tried to get an e20 going on my CUCM 8 also without any success.

The debugs don't show much of anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions to this?

I configured mine for a URI of XXX@IP address

with a username and password that matches a userid in CUCM

and a proxy address of the CUCM

ON the CUCM, I have tried an advanced as well as a basic SIP device.

I have associated the end user to the device.

I can not get this e20 to register at all.

I don't seem to be the only one with this issue

Did you select the digest user to be the same as end user under phone configuration page?

Thanks for reponse.

Unfortunately, yes I did select the digest user in the protocol specific Information to be the same as the end user that is configured in the CUCM user management page as well as on the e20 phone.

I also defined the owner user id to be that same end-user (cleverly named e20)

Adnan Kolakovic
Level 1
Level 1

I never managed to get it working. There is new software for E20, and use CUCM8.5. This is the only way to get it working as far as I know. I spent days trying with different combinations of usernames/passwords and no go.

Noone has come forward with the step-by-step on how to do it yet.

Addy

thanks Adnan

I tried to get this going under CUCM 7.x and now 8.x.

Both have failed. I have spent significant time with this also.....

It really should not be this hard.

The lack of documentation on this is extremely frustrating

Hello Pcanters and Adnan,

Here is a guide on setting up 3rd party phones that I have used many times and helps break down the process with all its required steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_1_2/ccmcfg/b09sip3p.html#wp1024564

Please let me know if this helps!

-Brett

Steven Griffin
Level 4
Level 4

Adnan,

I recently had to setup a Mitel 5224 SIP phone on CUCM 8.5.  Here are steps I went through to make it work.

Procedure for setting up a Third Party SIP device with CUCM (Mitel 5224 in this case):

CUCM one-time setup:

1. Create a SIP Profile for the third-party SIP phone which is a copy of the Standard SIP Profile

2. Create a copy of the Advanced SIP Phone Security Profile for the third-party SIP phone and check the Digest Authentication box

CUCM setup per-phone:

1.       Create the SIP Phone in CUCM as an Basic or Advanced SIP Device

( Basic requires 3 DLU's gives you 1 line. Advanced  requires 6 DLU's and gives you up to 8 lines with video)

a.       Use the SIP Profile and Security Profile you created earlier

b.      Set the phone's digest user to the end-user of the phone

c.       Create a line for the phone and note the extension

2. Find the end-user you want assigned to a phone in CUCM

a.       Set their Digest Credentials (this can be bulk assigned to be the same password for all users but is a security risk)

Third-party SIP phone setup per-phone (This is specific to a Mitel 5224 so do whatever is necessary for your phone):

1. Boot phone while pressing the *superkey* (Blue button)
  2. Use the buttons on the phone to set it into SIP mode and phone will reboot
  3. Find Phone's IP address and login to phone admin page  (u: admin p: 5224)
  4. Select the Quick Start link on the left

a.       User ID is the extension in Call Manager

b.      User Display name is how you want the phone to display the number/user

c.       SIP Authentication User and Password are the end-user's username and SIP Digest password in CUCM

d.      SIP Proxy server is the CUCM IP address

e.      SIP Registry server is the CUCM IP address

f.        Press Apply

From what I read above perhaps your security profile isn't setup correctly?  Alternatively, if the Tandberg device doesn't distinguish between the phone username and the authentication username then then the end-user's name in CUCM must also be the extension number. If it does distingush between them you can use the phone username as the extension (do not use the @) and the authentication username as the end-user's username.

Hope this helps.

-Steven

Steven,

Most, most helpful !!!!!!!

I was able to get the e20 to register to CUCM 8

These steps here helped tremendously. I'll anotate and elaborate for those that also need to get  this working

CUCM one-time setup:

1.       Create a SIP Profile for the third-party SIP phone which is a copy of the Standard SIP Profile

Dedevice-> device settings->sip profile

2.   Create a copy of the Advanced SIP Phone Security Profile for the third-party SIP phone and check the Digest Authentication box

SySystem->Security->Phone Security Profile tcp/udp, enable digest auth, port 5060

CUCM setup per-phone:

1.       Create the SIP Phone in CUCM as an Basic or Advanced SIP Device (place device's MAC address in the Device Name)

( Basic requires 3 DLU's gives you 1 line. Advanced requires 6 DLU's and gives you up to 8 lines with video)

a.      Use the new SIP Profile and Security Profile you created earlier->protocol specific Information

b.      Set the phone's digest user to the end-user of the phone->protocol specific Information

c.      Create a line for the phone and note the extension

2.       Find the end-user you want assigned to a phone in CUCM

I set the user be the same as the extension

I configured the e20 phone with the extension@CUCM ipaddress format

Make sure to configure a proxy address and auth information in the settings proxy1,authentication etc of the phone

Phone will register.

I am having some audio issues but at least the phone is registered

Hi All,

I have registered my E20 with CUCM, I can make voice calls to others on cisco phone registered on the same CUCM or even external world. But I am not able to make conference calls. Can anyone guide me?

Regards,

P.Spenser

Spenser,

I would need more detail to assist you.  Can you list what you have configured and what troubleshooting steps you've tried?

The obvious question to ask first is, "Do you have a conference bridge available to the E20?"  Check the Media Resource Group List assigned to the device pool the E20 uses.  Does that MRGL have a Media Resource Group that contains a conference bridge?

I would strongly suggest not using the built-in CUCM bridges.  Instead use a hardware conference bridge on a router or video conference bridge from an MCU.

-Steven

Please help us make the communities better.  Rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: