Views
Helpful
Replies

Import Translation Pattern Fails

antonio.vazquez
Level 1
Level 1

Good night for all.

I'm trying to import a translation pattern csv file (previously exported) and it doesn't work.

When I verify the file, I seems to be ok but when I try to import it, appears a message in the log file that indicates "

translation pattern is not a supported field"

I have seen that a man in the forum has the same message but I think that he was trying to import the file incorrectly.

I'm running CUCM 10.5.2.10000-5

Could anybody help me?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do a config export from BAT>import/export   only tick Translation Patterns,

then use the same export file format to do your import again, so change the translationpattern.csv into what you need imported and put it back into the tar file.  upload it, validate and run an import job.

I just tested it on 10.5 and that seems to work for me

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

the excel file might be getting saved in Unicode Text format. pls save the CSV file UTF -8 format and try importing the file again.

Venkatesh.

the easiest way around this, is to just open the exported csv file in excell, edit the original and just hit SAVE. this way you do not have to worry about utf-8 settings like you would when you do SAVE AS

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do a config export from BAT>import/export   only tick Translation Patterns,

then use the same export file format to do your import again, so change the translationpattern.csv into what you need imported and put it back into the tar file.  upload it, validate and run an import job.

I just tested it on 10.5 and that seems to work for me

antonio.vazquez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dennis,

the problem is related with headers. For some strange reason, although it seems to be ok and it was saved as UTF-8 file, the header was malformed.

Thanks for your help

Kina86
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have the same issue with the message "translation pattern is not a supported field" when I try to bulk edit my Translation Pattern

What I do is I Export only translation pattern from CUCM, then I extract only translation pattern csv file from the .tar file.
I do my changes in OnlyOffice (because my excel is only saving CSV files with ";" separator when I save as csv UTF-8 separated with comas ... I don't know why and it drives me crazy).

Then I check my file is formatted as expected using Notepad++ without saving, I delete the old csv from the .tar and copy the new one in it.
I upload the .tar it in CUCM (Import/Export > Import configuration) and I use "validate import file"

Job Results status is "Success" and all my records passed.

Then I do the Import checking "Translation pattern" and override the existing configuration" and it fails. None of my entries passed.
Log file from translationpattern.csv is displaying :

Import Configuration
Begin Time : 05/28/2024 09:03:15
Query :
Insert Translation Pattern from translationpattern.csv
Failure Details :
Translation Pattern Error Code Error Description
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
translation pattern is not a supported field.

Somebody knows this issue? Maybe I do something wrong but I don't know what.
Thank you for your help.

Try your edits again, but open the original CSV directly Notepad++ rather than a word processor. Each translation pattern will appear on its own line in Notepad++ so the one(s) you want to edit will be easy to find.

The error from BAT makes me think there is some kind of header field issue. I find that opening BAT CSVs in Excel (especially if you are using E164 numbering) or other processing software frequently creates issues with the file.

Maren

It worked. I should have thought of it sooner…

I will have to import another batch of translation pattern rules at some point. But I will need to use excel to edit the file first (more than 500 rules).

So what I am going to do is edit my excel file first and save it as a temp CSV. Then open it with notepad and just copy/paste my modifications in the original translationpatter.csv downloaded from CUCM.

I will see if it does the trick, I let you know.

Thank you for your answer Maren !

In general when using +E.164 numbers in Excel it’s advisable to have the fields set to text format in the import wizard. Otherwise Excel has a habit to mess up things. In fact any time I work with Excel and bulk files I set all columns to text format in the import wizard and then change them later if I want to use a formula to build up the content in the cells. Then it’s also important to check that the CSV created by Excel has the proper separator, for me living in Sweden that’s not the case as the regional setting in Windows for Sweden is a semi-colon, not a comma. So I always use Notepad++ to change the ; to a , by a search and replace. After this it generally works, if the general structure of the file has been kept unchanged that is. The columns are critical to get right as you pointed out. Best is to always keep a file for reference and work on a copy so that you have something to verify against.

Response Signature

Hey Roger,
Thank you for your answer.
In fact previously I made sure that Excel field is set as "Text", I did my edit and save as csv UTF-8 separated by comas. I edited with Notepad++ to replace the semi-colons by comas. But it didn't worked. So I don't really know what excel or else does when the file is saving that mess-up with the Import task.

Often it is my experience that the import wizard messes up the columns, so that data gets into the wrong column. It can happen for example if there is a comma in the description as then the import wizard doesn’t know where to delimit. In general comma should never be used in CM if you want to stay away from this type of issues.

Response Signature

Ok so now I know what went wrong.
When I save my sheet from excel or onlyoffice : it save the csv file in UTF-8-BOM which result in an import error.
I translated to UTF-8 using notepad++ and it works just fine.

So, to list all the steps I did :

• Export “Translation Pattern” from CUCM via Bulk Administration > Import/Export > Export
  • Download the .tar file from CUCM via Bulk Administration > Upload/Download File
  • Open the .tar file via 7zip and extract translationpattern.csv
  • Open a new sheet in Excel/Onlyoffice
  • Make sure that all the sheet is in text format
  • Import data from the translationpattern.csv in the new sheet using "Import data from txt/csv file" option in excel/onlyoffice
  • Make my Translation pattern modification.
  • Save the sheet as csv file (UTF-8 separated with comas)
  • Open it with notepad++ and replace semi-colon to coma if needed
  • Convert from UTF-8-BOM to UTF-8 and save
  • Put back the edited file in the original .tar
  • Upload it back to CUCM via Bulk Administration > Upload/Download File
  • Validate the file via Bulk Administration > Import/Export > Validate Import File
  • Import the configuration via Bulk Administration > Import/Export > Import (don’t forget to check “Override the existing configuration”)

And it’s done.

Thank you very much Maren and Roger for your time, advice and answers

@Kina86 

Thank you for sharing your full process! That is very helpful to folks who find this post later. Good luck to you!

Maren