cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing an Analog phoneline with an ATA 192 phone adapter

abejjaji
Level 1
Level 1

We bought an ATA 192 device to replace an existing two analog phonelines that are used to transmit encryption keys between two modems in our network. We have configured the ATA 192 device as recommended by CISCO manual. We can hear the phone dialing and see the dialed number but no data is transmitted between modems.

I have exported a log debagging file and I looked at the SIP protocol while calling both 1991 and 1992 phone lines.

The SIP events look good, the invite, trying and acknowledgement messages/transaction happened with no problem as you see in the screenshot and I have attached a log file if you want to look at below. As I have mentioned before there is something broken between the two modems KMF server in one location and KMF Client in another location.

Normally the CD LED “Carrier Detect LED” lights when the modem detects a valid carrier signal from another modem and this is not happening. Synchronization or Baud Rate can also cause this issue:

abejjaji_0-1643215423780.png

abejjaji_1-1643215423787.jpeg

abejjaji_2-1643215423790.jpeg

Please let us know if we must do something else in the config or this device is not adequate to be used for data transmission?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Is this ATA  registered with a CUCM ?

Response Signature

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Is this ATA  registered with a CUCM ?

Response Signature

No, how can I get registered

Why have you marked the post as solved? From what I can tell it's not.

Response Signature

Remove Accepted solution.

ATA 192 is MPP and it doesn't register with CUCM.

Devices Associated with Your ATA

Use your ATA to connect these types of devices to your network:
  • Analog phones

• Analog phones have no softkeys.

• The information that analog phones display depends on the model you have.

• You use the phone’s flash button for hold, resume, transfer, and conference.

• Analog telephony voice devices

• The ATA supports analog telephony voice devices, such as overhead paging adapters and answering machines, that emulate a regular phone.

• Overhead paging systems

• Overhead paging systems provide alarms and public-address announcements in buildings.

• Fax machines

• Use a fax machine directly with an ATA. Don’t connect an extension to a fax machine, and don’t use the fax machine with a splitter.

• To reduce fax failures, use overseas mode, if available; if not, set the fax machine transmission speed to low.

• Data devices, such as facsimile machines and modems, may not function optimally. For the best fax and modem performance, continue to use a dedicated PSTN line.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/19x/3PCC/english/user-guide/at1x_b_ata191-ata192-user-mpp/at1x_b_ata191-ata192-user-mpp_chapter_00.html

Response Signature

are you sure about this? 191 MPP can be registered to CUCM as third party SIP device, so I suspect 192 might be also? Can't be 100% sure though

luisrolocq
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone been able to connect the ATA192, I have several ATA190 and 191 models registered and working with Call Manager 12.5 but can't make the 192 model run, have tried adding it as a third party but no lick, can't get it to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The Cisco ATA 192 is a  Multiplatform Analog Telephone Adapter is designed to work with Cisco Webex Calling, BroadCloud and BroadWorks, and other third-party call control system Metaswitch, Asterisk.

It wont work with CUCM.

Response Signature

Thanks for the confirmation, it is amazing that an answer that simple it's so hard to get.

The same information was actually already present on this post in an earlier response made by @Nithin Eluvathingal.

EE1850BE-6930-4AB9-82C1-64B2369CD54E.jpeg

Response Signature