Replies

SF-300-24P PoE switch with UC320W

support
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a client with a very simple set up shown below:

• 1 x US320W (Firmware 2.2.3(5))
  • 1 x SF300-24P 24-port PoE Managed Switch (Firmware 1.1.2.0)
  • 11 x SPA504G Phones (Latest firmware via the phone system)
  • 2 x SIP Trunks using VOIP

We have had an issue whereby on a Sunday the phones stop working. I have configured phone monitor buttons on most of the soft keys, so when the system has its issue the phones are powered on with the normal info showing on the LCD but the phone monitor lines all flash as it they can't see each other, and you can't make an outgoing call. The phone system however continues to work, but it directs all calls to voicemail as I beleive it can't detect any phones.

This issue has happend twice now and after rebooting each device individually we have found that a switch reboot fixes the issue. We were on fimrware version 1.1.1.8 and have now upgraded it to 1.1.2.0 in the hopes that it will fix the issue, however I would be interested to see if anyone has had similar issues, or knows if the upgrade will fix it. I can't see anything in the relase notes that says it fixes this particular issue but I can only hope.

I have done minimal configuration of the switch. Turned off spanning tree, and enabled the Voice LAN which was inbuilt.

One other thing that baffles me, I can see release notes for firmware 1.1.2.5 but no download, where is it I ask???

We have a couple of other sites that have not had issues like this but they use an SG-300-28P and a SRW224G4P.

Thank you for any input,

Tony

20 Replies 20

rbordner
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

I confirmed 1.1.2.0 was the latest released firmware for SF300 family of switches.

The firmware supports auto voice vlan configuration to minimize manual configuration with UC320W.

Does the condition always happens on a Sunday?  The UC320W has a built in maintence window set for Sunday mornings.  This should not cause any hung condition with the phones but it is a weekly task that is part of the UC320W.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the reply.  I had left the reboot as default for 3:00am on a sunday morning, and this is the second time at least that this has happend.  I have moved the reboot to Thursday morning to distance it from the weekend to see if it happens again.

However as I said in the original post rebooting the phone system does not fix it, although I do accept that it is probably the trigger causing my problem.  Having a browse online I found a note about the switch saying it could handle 11 devices drawing the maximum power and they do have 11 devices.  However I would hope that a phone is not taking the maximum power that the PoE switch can pump out.

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony.. Worth checking this with regards to phone reboots. Also may be worth applying the disable lldp pmf. However, these are just as a precaution as you needing to reload your switch doesn't really fit? Do the phones ever come back online without a switch reload?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3646241#3646241

Good luck

Matt

Also, do you have any debug logs which may steer you in the right direction?

Please rate all useful posts.

Matt

I installed a few of UC320 + SF300 and they are working fine so far.

Try upgrade SF300 firmware to Version 1.2.5.70 see if that helps. You shouldn't need to manually configure SF300 switch  what i did just simply connect one of 2x uplink Gigabyte port to UC320 LAN port.

I agree with the post above from billy wu.

I suggest reseting the switch to factory default, and do not confiugre anything on it, maybe just an ip address.

The swithces just work with the UC320W after you upgrade the their firmware.

I hope it helps.

Naum

Just a heads up on 1.2.5.70 - it was recently recalled:

[ 7/4/2012 - Product Alert – MR Release 1.2.5.70 for the Series 200, 300, and 500 Switches

Please note we have identified a potential issue with the 1.2.5.70 update for the Series 200, 300, and 500 switches. As a precautionary measure, we have taken down the 1.2.5.70 release while we determine the  cause of the issue, severity, and scope. We will either re-post the release or post an updated version depending on the outcome of our analysis.  Please check back at theDownload Center for updates]

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25157

Just a quick read over the thread - have you tried hard coding the vlans or are you using the auto voice vlan? This sounds like the auto vlan acting up for some reason.

No power issues correct? Do you still have available power? (Port management -> poe -> properties)

Best,

David

Hello,

Mathew:

The times that the issue has occured the Switch reboot has been the only fix, rebooting the phones and uc320w just resets the phones but when they come back up they still cannot connect properly to the uc320w.  If the problem occurs again I will remove the reboot though as it does seem to be the trigger, although I doubt it is the cause.

I had a look at the logs on the switch, but there was nothing that jumped out at me as the cause.  The logs in the UC320W simply said they were tryig to reboot MAC addresses of the phones.

Billy / Naum:

On reflection I don't think I did enable the voice lan, as you said it was already turned on, so the only thing I did do was login and turn off Spanning tree as I have found that it is always a good idea to turn it off.  If the firmware upgrade to 1.2.0 does not fix it I will try a factory reset on the switch.

David:

That explains why I couldn't find 1.2.5.  I am using the auto vlan.  I assume that there are no power issues as the phones have power, they simply can't communicate.  Plese see a screen dump of th eproperties attached.

Tony

Tony,

Try either auto voice vlan or manually configuring the vlans.

Do you use the switch port on the phones for data? If you manually set the vlans, voice is tagged, data untagged, trunk ports.

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Tony,

Please try setting port fast on each network interface on the switch (at least the interfaces connected to each phone).

It sound like a timing  issue, the phones reboot and the interface on the switch goes down.  When the phone reboots the interface comes back up and spanning tree runs on each port. During that time the phones try to obtain the DHCP lease from UC320W and it times out.  The phones will come up with last used IP address.

Please try this step to set port fast and see if that improves the issue.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randall,

If I have already disable spanning tree on the router won't that have the same effect?

Tony

Tony,

You want to enable port fast on each switch ports that phones are connected to.

I believe disabling spanning tree on the router would not effect spanning tree on the switch.

Screen shot showing interface settings on port fast.  The example is SFE2000P

Regards,

Randy

Hi Randall,

Sorry, I meant I disabled spanning tree on the switch.  Does the port fast have another function apart from disabling the spanning tree?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Portfast is a spanning tree function/feature.  If you disable spanning tree, changing portfast will have no effect.  Ideally, you would leave spanning tree (rapid) enabled and set each port where a phone is connected to (or all access ports) to portfast.

Hope this helps.

Chris