Replies

C9115AXI-EWC-E Mixed with AP 1852i ME

beconnect
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

we have an ME deployment with two1852i 

now we bought 4x C9115AXI-EWC-E  

can you tell me if its better to create the Ewc new deployment and then join 1852i as “members” of the new “cluster”? ( assuming upgrade to 8.10 on the ME)

Are they compatible or should I leave the ME as it is , and create a new enviroment with the new 9115?

regards

48 Replies 48

This is from the readme.

CW_BEGIN
FAMILY: C9800-AP
IMAGE: C9800-AP-universalk9.17.09.03.SPA.bin <-- This is to make the AP an EWC capable controller or to upgrade/downgrade/convert.
DESCRIPTION: Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software
VERSION: 17.09.03
FULL_VERSION: 17.09.03.0.4111.1678842030..Cupertino
CW_END
AP IMAGES AND MODELS:
ap3g3 : AP380x, AP280x, AP156x, AP480x
ap1g4 : AP181x, AP183x, AP185x
ap1g5 : AP1815, AP154x, AP184x
ap1g6 : C9117
ap1g7 : C9115, C9120 <-- This is the image you need to make the ap capable of joining a controller.
ap1g6a : C9124, C9130
ap1g8 : C9105, WP-WIFI6, ISR-AP1101AX

Release Notes:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-9/rel-notes/ewc-rn-17-9-x.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_0258662d-50d1-4a47-8b6f-310619f76738

EWC Conversion:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If you follow the link attached , it has a table which lists which AP image goes to which access point. All you literally have to do is download the .zip file, unzip it and make sure to follow the instructions pointing it to the TFTP server and the server is pointed to the directory with the zip file contents. Once this is done , whatever supported AP model tries to join the EWC , it will reach out and automatically download the file it needs 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-on-catalyst-access-points/215303-embedded-wireless-controller-conversion.html

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Agreed with Prince - EWC much preferred versus ME.
Compatibility matrix below lists all supported APs.
All current versions of IOS-XE for EWC will support the 1852's - suggest to start with 17.9.3.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just keep in mind, EWC is different from ME, so you need to be familiar with how it needs to be configured, best way to implement it and knowledge to support it.  It's a balance...if you are very good at ME, EWC will still take you time to learn.  You are better off to take one of the new ap's and play around with it and test.  Make sure that clients can connect before you just try to switch things over.  

-Scott

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

@emuman100 to join new APs to EWC you need to setup an external TFTP server where you unzip the corresponding package you downloaded (not the bin one) and setup this TFTP server in the EWC like this:
wireless profile image-download default
 image-download.mode tftp
  tftp-image-path /
  tftp-image-server a.b.c.d

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The image is in the zip file you have downloaded.  According to the readme file, this is the image you need for the 1852:
ap1g4 : AP181x, AP183x, AP185x

-Scott

Nice!

So in resume:

- Mount the new EWC cisco 9115 and configure it , also configuring a tftp in local PC with all zip files from file C9800-AP-universalk9.17.09.03.zip

- convert all 1852i and 1832i that are in ME mode to capwap mode: 

(Cisco Controller) >config ap unifiedmode <switch_name> <switch_ip_address>
<switch_name> and <switch_ip_address> is the name and IP address respectively of the WLC to which the APs need to be migrate.

- they should be able to join the new EWc controller

Correct?

If you perform all the steps, then yes it should join the controller.

-Scott

But remember never put the EWC and ME controllers on the same VLAN.

Hi Rich

thats a big concern yes, because all of old ME AP's are in a production.

I would try to get the new EWC working  on lab , then , at site , convert all of 1800 series AP's

This is what you have to determine like I mentioned.  You will need to figure out how long it will take you to bring up the new EWC and then convert the old ME ap's to be able to join the EWC.  That is why I mentioned that it might be easier for you to just add the new ap's to the ME.  What is your comfort level in EWC and in ME?  Anytime you part take on a migration of any sort or even a change, you should lab this out and make sure that your process is repeatable and is successful.  

Get the EWC working and tested, do this multiple times by factory resetting the AP to understand the process.  Make sure you have a spare ME that you can also test with, by converting, maybe factory reset, etc.  This ME will need to have repeatability in converting and joining the EWC.  After all this, you can then determine the downtime you need which will include any remediation and or troubleshooting.  

-Scott

Hi Scott. 

I am familiarized more with ME but I will test for sure Cisco 9115 with one 1800 ( converting this one , resetting it for sure)

Seems to me the best way , preparing the future , to have EWC on top , because ME 1800 ones tend to be replaced in time..

On the other end, you said that ME could have 9115 as members? 

regards 

I would look at this matrix.  Does show support for the 9100:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#mobility_express_solution

Again, you can go either way.  I personally never liked ME and like the 9800's.  I have tested and played around with the EWC, but having either a 9800-L that is smaller or even a 9800-CL in a hypervisor or in the cloud is much easier to work with.  

-Scott

I am with you

Never was a huge fan of ME, and for this solution of ME on top and join 9115 , we definitely have other job , that is upgrade all 1852 that are on 8.5.131!.

So let's go to 9115 on top and ME as subordinates, lab testing.

Thansk for the support

Keep you posted team

No worries..  You should also take a look at the 9800-CL if you have VMware, Hyper-V or on the Cloud.  You can run these apes in FlexConnect which ME and EWC already does, but you will have the features that can help future proof your wireless.  The 9800-CL is a free download so it doesn't hurt to test that in the lab at a future date so you can get some familiarity with the product.  Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card