Replies

WLC 5508 Failure to upgrade code

pallipton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a WLC 5508 and I'm getting the following errors:

TFTP Code transfer starting.

TFTP receive complete... extracting components.

Failure while validating the signature!

TFTP Failure while storing in flash!

The image is good and for the right model.  Does anyone have any ideas?

47 Replies 47

tfraij
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Peter,

i would suggest checking the following:

1) are you upgrading the WLC through its managemnent interface or service port? can you please try both. do you get same error.

2) also do you have the problem with different versions?

3) please checkthe MD5 of file you have matching the one you donwloaded http://www.fastsum.com/download.php

4) confirm that TFTP has no firewall and antivirus.

5) try to reaload WLC and the upgrade after reload.

debug transfer all enable  ->> would be helpful here , and i suspect if above didn't help that this device need RMA.

Best regards
Talal

===

please rate answers that you find useful , and mark as answered - when it is :-) - so others can find it easily

I also gets this issue on my WLC 5508 when upgrading from 7.0.220.0 to 7.0.240.0

I have already using TFTP server v4 and installed FUS 1.7.0.0 but I still gets this issue

“Failure while validating the signature!

TFTP Failure while storing in flash!”

In the logging, it shows “TransferTask: Sep 07 07:19:32.842: %UPDATE-3-INV_FILE_SIGN: installpkg.c:1609 Error! Invalid image signature!. Image may be corrupt.”

I tried with FTP and upgrade using both GUI and CLI but cannot resolve this issue.

My Controller: FCW1508L02L

I hope I can receive a suggestion from you!

Thank all,

Xuan

kidputer
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue with a 5508.

I have tried all the things you outline and still have the issue described.

Got a new 5508 and it has the same issue.  Our other 5508 I can update all day long.

What is the deal are there a batch of 5508 units out there that have a bad signature file detector?

I can update the image using the menu seen below, but the image says invalid because it is a .aes and I need a flat unencrypted image.

1. Run primary image
2. Run backup image
3. Manually update images
4. Change active boot image
5. Clear Configuration

How do we update this flash and or obtain access to a non AES image which we can update under the boot menu?

The Cisco guy says this is a rare problem but they have seen a few of these issues.  My question is how have I seen it twice if this is the case?

Lastly, where do I update the signature verification portion of the OS?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using TFTPd32 client?

Was there a resolution to this issue, as I am having the same issue on a brand new WLC 5508. Have tried to upgrade to version 7.0 and also the latest 6.2, but both images are reporting a signature problem. I will investigate further tomorrow, but hope someone could shed some light on this issue.

Kind regards,

Ian

but both images are reporting a signature problem

Normally means the image is either corrupted or didn't have the correct MD5.

Thanks for the tip.

In short it turned out to be a USB stick that was corrupting the image.

In downloading the images on one machine (Windows7) and then transferring them to the management station (Win2003), the file had got corrupted on the USB stick. Checking the MD5 value of the downloaded file at all locations, highlighted corruption on the USB stick. An alternative key has corrected the issue, so all good now.

The faulty USB stick has been hit several times with a hammer

The faulty USB stick has been hit several times with a hammer

Make sure you took pictures and post it.  IT'll make our day!  

Please don't forget to rate our posts.  Thanks.

Any other people faced with issues of USB sticks corrupting the files MD5 values, then follow the steps below should a format not work.

USB Corrective Procedure v1.0

1.   1.  Grab suitable hammer (see Step1.jpg)

2.   2.  Locate USB stick on suitable surface (see Step1.jpg)

3.   3. Hit USB stick with hammer repeatedly until smile on face is from ear to ear J

4.   4.  Gather pieces of USB stick from surrounding area and collate results (see conclusion.jpg)

5.   5. Break for coffee or suitable refreshment

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Excellent procedure. Do you have a similar process for how to deal with Microsoft products when they start blue screening randomly?

Barry

Now THAT is a priceless post indeed.  +5 from me!

RICHARD DUNN
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue with 2 brand new 5508's which are 4 serial numbers apart. I upload the code with TFTPD32 and when it finishes I get:

*Sep 16 14:15:41.722: TFP End: 95604192 bytes transferred (0 retransmitted packe                                                                                                                               ts)

*Sep 16 14:15:41.722: tftp rc=0, pHost=172.28.3.183 pFilename=/AIR-CT5500-K9-7-0                                                                                                                               -116-0.aes

pLocalFilename=/mnt/download/local.tgz

*Sep 16 14:15:41.723: tftp = 6, file_name=/AIR-CT5500-K9-7-0-116-0.aes, ip_addre                                                                                                                               ss=172.28.3.183, msg=Unknown error - refer to log

*Sep 16 14:15:41.723: upd_get_code = 6 (target=268435457 msg=Unknown error - ref                                                                                                                               er to log)

*Sep 16 14:15:41.723: RESULT_STRING: TFTP receive complete... extracting compone                                                                                                                               nts.

*Sep 16 14:15:41.723: RESULT_CODE:6

*Sep 16 14:15:45.723: RESULT_STRING: Failure while validating the signature!

*Sep 16 14:15:49.725: RESULT_STRING: TFTP Failure while storing in flash!

*Sep 16 14:15:49.725: RESULT_CODE:7

*Sep 16 14:15:53.726: ummounting: cwd = /mnt/application

*Sep 16 14:15:54.026: finished umounting

I had 2 consulants try with the same results also.

Any ideas?

Typically I have seen this issue a number of times, on the 4400's but never the 5500's, when it was an issue on the 4400's it was usually a result of the bootloader not being able to handle the image size.

have you tried switching to the backup image and then trying the firmware upgrade? just a thought?

Richard,

1.  From what firmware version are you upgrading from and what firmware are you uploading to?

2.  Did you upgrade the bootloader?

3.  Are you sing TFTPd32/TFTPd64?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card