Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Experts

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Maqsood Mushtaq

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Jabber Clients with Cisco expert Maqsood Mushtaq.

Maqsood Mushtaq is a software engineer at Cisco in the Clients and Mobility Business Unit in Galway. Currently he provides support/bug fixes for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator (UPC) 8.x and Cisco UC Integration for Microsoft Office Communicator/Lync as well as Cisco Jabber for Windows. This includes setup, configuration, tracking customer feedback, and maintenance releases. He has over three and half years of experience in working with Cisco Unified Communications applications, including work as a developer on Visual Voicemail for Cisco IP Phones, Cisco Phone Designer, and Cisco UPC 8.x. He has also worked with Java MIDlets, C#, .NET, Windows Presentation Foundation, and InstallShield.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maqsood know if you have received an adequate response. 

Maqsood might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video sub-community   discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 15, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

97 Replies 97

Hi Maqsood,,

based on your Workaround with Wireshark, we could successfully connect the AD Contacts, but it is not really usefull for customers as the Jabber does not see anymore the users, so we have to choose between users OR contacts...

We have also tryed to configure both directories in the jabber xml config file, but here too, only the first directory (users) is shown.

So I hope that you feature request CSCuc11684 will be quickly implemented, as customers ar angry about this missed feature.

Thanks a lot,

Jacky

Has any changes been made to support for MS Terminal Services since this was last posted in June?

"Jabber for Windows team did not do any QA work on Microsoft Terminal Services. Therefore I cannot comment if Jabber for Windows (along with other Cisco products) will work on MS Terminal Services and if it works at all what will be the quality of the products. There is no formal support for Jabber for Windows under terminal services. Also there are no committed plans for testing/supporting Jabber for Windows on MS Terminal Services. "

Nothing has changed regarding the support for MS Terminal Services since. It has been added to the backlog but not as a high priority.

Hi Maqsood,

Can you please confirm if Jabber being unsupported on MS Terminal services applies to voice/soft phone capability or is it that Jabber is not supported at all on MS terminal services, i.e. not even for IM/P and deskphone control?

Regards,

Zeeshan

mnour401917_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maqsood,

I have a UC environment for a customer with Jabber as a presence client for windows, do you know when will be possible to have Single Sign on Capability will be working. At the moment this feature is not available? Your help will be appriciated.

Thanks

Mohammed

Hi Mohammad,

Single Sign-on support is targeted for Jabber for Window 9.1 in October this year. However please note that the feature is in a provisional feature list currently under review.

Thanks,

Maqsood

joe-vieira
Level 1
Level 1

From a network prespective I wonder if there is anything that is available to auto limit bandwidth utilization when for example serveral Jabber users are streaming a video from a  central location at the same time. Even if using VGA resolution 50 users could use up all the bandwidth available on a link and starve other apps. Any ideas of what can done to address this?

Hi Joe,

Following section in Cisco Unified Call Manager Admin guide might give you some useful information on video bandwidth management in your network.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a08video.html#wp1143952

You can also explore bandwidth policing on the routers/switches in your organization. There could be some bandwidth management softwares out there that can help (sorry! I can't suggest any...)

Thanks,

Maqsood

solivarr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Maqsood,

Is it possible to Change the LDAP Username used for LDAP Authentication in Jabber for iPhone from UPN to an alt. AD attribuite Mapping (IE: sAMAccountName)

As it stands now, you must use a UPN User ID to authenticate in Jabber for Windows for LDAP Integration.

RE: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/iPhone/8.6/JABI_BK_J29330BB_00_jabber-for-iphone-admin-guide_chapter_011.html#JABI_TP_C57B06CD_00

By default, the LDAP Username is the userPrincipalName (UPN) and may be in the form of an email address (userid@example.com).

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Is your question related to Jabber for iPhone? Please note that I can only answer/comment on the question related to Jabber for Windows as this is the product I work with. Having said that this sounds like an AD accounts admin question. I will not be able to comment as I don't have any experience in this are. Please let me know If I am missing  something here.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Luis Sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to have the Windows Jabber Client automatically discover the server settings upon a new install. I have read that I need to create a DNS SRV entry.  Do you have step by step instructions on how to create the SRV entry on a Windows 2008 R2 server?

What is the best method of deploying Jabber to 250 users?  Are there any licensing requirements that might cause issues?

Can Windows Jabber have multiple DN's associated with the client?  My personal line is 1434 but my UCCX line is 7036.  How can I utilize Jabber for Windows Client for both numbers?

CUCM = 8.5.1

CUPS = 8.5.2

UCCX = 8.5.1

Hi Luis,

Please see the response inline.

I am trying to have the Windows Jabber Client automatically discover  the server settings upon a new install. I have  read that I need to  create a DNS SRV entry. Do you have step by step instructions on how to create the SRV entry on a Windows 2008 R2 server?

• I don't know about any such document by Cisco. Following Microsoft link may be helpfull as it is server side that you need the information

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398680.aspx

What is the best method of deploying Jabber to 250 users? 

• Create a custom installer from Jabber for Windows installer with cutom properties. Details are in the admin guide section "Specify installation properties in a custom installer":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0101.html#task_E3D56DACD7144194A915541486845C38

Are there any licensing requirements that might cause issues?

• I don't know about licensing stuff but here is a link to "Jabber for Everyone" initiative where you can use Jabber for free in your deployment.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/jabber_for_everyone/CUP0_BK_JE526021_00_jabber-for-everyone-solution-overview_chapter_010.html#CUP0_TP_J39725A1_00

Can Windows Jabber have multiple DN's associated with the client?  My  personal line is 1434 but my UCCX line is 7036. How can I utilize Jabber for Windows Client for both numbers?

• Softphone device associated with the jabber user cannot have more than one DNs. If UCCX line is CTI controllable then this will show up in the list of deskphone devices. You can control the deskphone devices from Jabber for Windows.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Maqsood,

(1)

Is there a way to use SIMPLE BIND instead of SASL Auth mechanism in Jabber for Windows for LDAP search?

From doc here -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html

It seems that this is the key

but this still makes Jabber to use SASL and GSS-API. This setting doesn't seem to have any affect!

(2)

The base filter here doesn't seem to work

&(objectCategory=person)

Also tried -

(&(objectCategory=person))

The above fails. What is the correct format. An example would be appreaciated.

Hi Md,

Both (1) and (2) are known issues. They will be tracked by following defects:

CSCua39179: SecureConnection attr has no effect when turned off in config file.

CSCua39052: Search filter does not apply to directory search

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

Thank you for both of the defect.

Another question, when will Jabber for windows support CUPS HA?

Thanks

Md Hasan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: