Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7970 Phone not booting after Factory Reset

Giovanni Ceci
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Community,

I got a Cisco 7970G IP phone that won't boot up after I did a factory reset. It was booting up prior to doing so. Here is what is happening when I plug it in:

- Screen shows "Cisco Systems - Copyright 2002-2005, Cisco Systems, Inc", and has a checkmark on the bottom left corner

- The line buttons are lighting up in sequence from top to bottom

- The Headset key is lit and stays that way

- After about 15 seconds, the screen dims and the check mark changes to a bullseye sign.

- There is no response from any of the keys when pressing them (including the Settings Key)

This process repeats and repeats. I checked the Bug Toolkit, and I found one that may match, but it doesn't have the same symptoms: CSCsc48289

Has anyone ever experienced this and knows how to fix it?

Thanks,

Neocec

48 Replies 48

Are you using CUCM/CUCME?

What version of CUCM/CCME are you running. It is possible that the firmware on the server is to high for the phone to upgrade to. This is a common problem. In this case you need to phone to download a lower firmware first eg 8.5.X

Please rate all useful posts

CUCM v. 7.1.3.10000-11. I would think if the phone was even trying to load the screen would show something. I will throw some logging on to see what the phone is doing on the network.

What you can do is use a tftp software like tftpd32. Download firmware files on it. On your DHCP scope, put your option 150 as the ip address of the machine hosting the tftp server.

Then power on the phone and observe what files the phone is trying to download that is if it makes it that far

That did the trick! I had to start with the 6.0(3)_SR1 package but I'm slowly moving through the versions one at a time to make sure it doesn't have the same issue again. Thanks!!!

Great!

Dont forget to rate useful posts!

HI,

I have the same problem too but my phone keep saying "Auth Fail" flash and it shows Copyright 2002-2005 for some time on screen and again its restarting and same proccess repeating kindly help me with this i am facing this from weeks now..

Thanks

Khaleel

Khaleel,

Did you try this suggestion

What you can do is use a tftp software like tftpd32. Download firmware files on it. On your DHCP scope, put your option 150 as the ip address of the machine hosting the tftp server.

Then power on the phone and observe what files the phone is trying to download that is if it makes it that far

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Any time I have seen the "Auth Fail" message is due to the wrong phone model being selected in CUCM.  I have a mix of phones and sometimes clone the wrong model, this will cause the Auth Fail message.

Hi mpaneers,

The usual reset method with the Sequence 123456789*0# just took me to the Splash scrn with the Bulls eye and the Cisco logo. So I tried the other method of factor reset what u mentioned the sequence 3491672850*# . As u mentioned the line buttons did a scroll of red and after that the phone didnt boot up. Instead the mute button flashed red and then speaker button turned green for few sec and then the lne 1 blinked orange and after that there was no sign of power at all. When i reconnect the power adapter it does the same thing. (mute button flashed red and then speaker button turned green for few sec and then the lne 1 blinked orange and after that there was no sign of power at all.) . Pls help me to get this fixed.

Thank You,

Shiv Raman I.M (shiv.raman1985@gmail.com)

Shiv, 

You're better off creating a new thread as this one is, like, one year old.

Hi, I have two 7970, a server with freepbx installed (centos) and a 48port poe+ switch. Would like to set up the system but I'm a newby. I tryed the 3491672850*# reset on the first phone, but now the phone does not show anything. All leds and lcd are off after boot.

Can anyone help me, maybe suggesting me some tutorials?

Do I need more hardware, like a gateway?

Thank you so much, Marco

Hi Marco,

7970 Phone works only with CUCM in SCCP mode (default). So not worth trying.

Regards,

Arun Kumar MV

Please rate useful posts !!

7970 Phone works only with CUCM in SCCP mode (default). So not worth trying.

That is incorrect. Cisco phones, (including 7970) with SIP firmware are widely used with third-party PBX. However third party PBX issues are rarely discussed here, a better place to look is www.voip-info.org

Thanks for quick reply.

I'm not sure what kind of system may I use. I was just trying with FreePbx, by reading some forum threads on the net.

If I would set up theese phones with Cisco harware, what should I buy? I would like to use them in a small office, but should be easily upgradable to 6-7 phones.

Thanks again, Marco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: