Views
Helpful
Replies

Device CSS v Line CSS

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

When Line and Device are in different CSS, how is the call handled? This is causing me a lot of confusion. I had an extension that couldn't make outgoing external calls. The Line CSS did not have the required partition, but the device CSS did. I thought they were concatenated together? If this the case, why would the person be unable to dial out if the Device CSS had a correct partition?

Thanks

21 Replies 21

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hello

Kindly be informed that you have twp options for CSS:

1-CSS on the line

or

2-CSS on the device

If you put CSS on your line , it will overwirte the CSS on the device , so the CSS of the device it will be useless. Be carefull for CSS you have to select which location you have to put your CSS , recommended the CSS for line.

Thank you

please rate if  this will help

Islam,

Your statement is invalid, the CSSes get concatenated, this is very typical and recommended approach to use routing CSS at the device level and blocking CSS at the line.  Again, well described in SRND.

HTH,

Chris

What happens when you don't have any CSS applied at Line level but CSS applied to Device only or vice-versa? Will you not  be able to make or receive any calls if Line or Device is not taking precedence over one or the other? Also, how would this work in a Cross Cluster Extension Mobility Scenario if again one or the other doesn't have any CSS applied to them? Regards

If you don't have CSS applied at Line level but applied to Device only, then only Device CSS will be applicable and whether you can make any calls or not depends on the partitions accessed by respective device CSS. Same is applicable viceversa.

EMCC also carries the same concept except device CSS is configured under device profile viz EMCC CSS.

- Vivek

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is well described in SRND, the idea behind device/line approach is to use site specific wide open CSS at the device level and blocking CSS at the line level.  This way for deployment with multiple locations you use one routing CSS per site and you build global blocking CSS that can be applied to all locations. The line CSS on phones have precedence over device CSS if there are exact patterns matched in both.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for the info.

Regarding my situation above. If the 2 are concatenated, what would be the reason for extensions external calls not working?

"The Line CSS did not have the required partition, but the device CSS did" - using the login above, shouldn't the call have routed?

Thanks

Perhaps there was a blocking pattern being matched, you can use Dialed Number Analyzer to see this.

Chris

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info...

Still think I'm confused..

You say - Perhaps if there was a blocking pattern being matched.

If my Line CSS only allowed Internal Numbers, but the Device CSS allowed external, does this classify the Line CSS as "blocking external numbers"?

This is the understanding I currently have is -

1. "an external number is dialled" -
2. Line CSS has no matching partition for this (it only has internal dialling partition)
3. Device CSS DOES have a matching partition for External Calls.

The above was true in my situation, but for some reason the caller couldn't dial out?

Grant,

If my Line CSS only allowed Internal Numbers, but the Device CSS allowed external, does this classify the Line CSS as "blocking external numbers

I doubt strongly if this qualifies as line level blocking...Line level blocking comes into play when you use specific route patterns or xlation patterns to block certain patterns at the line level...

When I deploy Line/Dev model CSS..My DEV CSS has access to my PSTN partition..All patterns and my Line CSS has access only to the patterns I want to block...

So if my DEV CSS= CSS_PSTN_ALL

and CSS_PSTN_ALL= UK_PSTN

If my Lin CSS= Internal_CSS, then the final CSS on the device looks like this

Internal_CSS, CSS_PSTN_ALL

With this, this user has access to all PSTN numbers. There is no reason why the call should be blocked...Something else must be going on...

Out of curiosity I configured a test phone to use exactly your config and the user can dial all numbers.

LINE Level blocking comes into play when the CSS on the line matches a blocking pattern..because the CSS on the line takes priority over the DEV CSS, the blocked parttern is matched and call fails...

So please investigate further or take CUCM traces..I am keen to find out whats going on..

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

Chris' last sentence is what nailed it for me. I had a 9.! on the Line CSS blocked (I want no outbound calls on Line 2). But Line 2 was still able to call out because the Device CSS was more definitive( CSS Unrestricted).

I guess I will have to duplicate every pattern in CSS Unrestricted and block them all in (Internal Only Line 2 CSS).

Thanks Chris!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Grant,

Here's the clip from the SRND that Chris nicely referenced (+5 Chris) and

the key principle that Chris described (TIE goes to the Line level CSS);

If  the same route pattern appears in two  partitions, one contained in the  line's calling search space and one  contained in the device's calling  search space, then according to the r ules described in the section on

Partitions,   Unified CM selects the route pattern listed first in the concatenated   list of partitions (in this case, the route pattern associated with the   line's calling search space).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/dialplan.html#wp1044321

Guidelines for the Line/Device Approach

Consider the following guidelines when using the line/device approach:

For   this approach to work, the blocked patterns configured within the line   calling search space must be at least as specific as the route  patterns  configured within the device calling search space. Wherever  possible,  Cisco recommends that you configure the blocked patterns as  more  specific than the routed ones, to avoid any possibility of error.  Use  extra care when dealing with the @ wildcard because the patterns  defined  within it are very specific.

AAR   is triggered when on-net DNs are dialed. Access to these DNs can be   controlled by the same processes described previously. AAR uses a   different calling search space for rerouted calls. In most cases, the   AAR calling search space can be the same as the site-specific,   unrestricted device calling search space because it can never be dialed   directly by end users.

Refer to the section on Call-Forward Calling Search Spaces, for guidance on using the line/device approach for Call Forward All actions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/dialplan.html#wp1150997

Cheers!

Rob

"Talk about a dream
Try to make it real" 

- Springsteen

Hello

very usefull information , in all my life i only confiugure CSS on the line .

Many thanks Rob for these information

Islam,

So, how do you make things like extension mobility work to ensure it uses local GW, etc? traditional approach was to only use CSS at the device level, but I've never heard of anyone using just line level, there is a lots of caveats with that approach.

Chris

Hello Chris

You are completely true , what i need to say to attach phone with route pattern (i use CSS on the line ) for outgoing calls , many thanks for these information .

Thank you